I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternative fly reel backing?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:15PM

It is a damp and snowy Saturday evening after a week of sunny 60 degree weather and I am sorting through all of my gear in anticipation of the upcoming trout season. I came across a 50 yd spool of 30 lb Mason Tip-Up teflon coated, braided nylon ice fishing line that is dark pine green in color. I purchased the line "Up North" last summer with the intent of using it as backing on a fly reel in which I would place a 10 ft sink tip line for stripping streamers on a 5 or 6 weight rod. I figured, I would need less backing than using the standard 20 lb stuff, and there was little if any chance of this thicker line pinching if ever a large fish got well into the backing. Besides, even if I got a 20"+ fish on the creeks and smaller rivers I like to fish, there is no way I would get spooled unless I accidentally hooked a large steelhead or salmon over 15 lbs. Has anyone out there tried using this type of line for backing? Have I overlooked any potential downfalls? If not, I will get more and use it on a couple of other spools I need to line. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative fly reel backing?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.179.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 11:32PM

I have used braided nylon backing and it cut my fingers when good fish went on long runs. It stretched and put considerable pressure on my fly reel spool. Such pressure can deform and even fracture reel spools. I have used teflon-coated braided dacron ( salt-water Micron backing) and it works fine. I can't see much advantage to teflon coated braided nylon over teflon impregnated braided dacron.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:49AM

There really isn't any such thing as "fly line backing" in terms of a specialty product. Most often, it's just relabeled braided nylon with a resulting increase in price. For many years, both Cortland and Gudebrod spooled their braided nylon as both "Braided Trolling Line" and "Fly Line Backing." It was the exact same product but the latter sold for over 3 times as much.

Having said that, some line makes better backing than others. As Phil said, you'd prefer not to have too much stretch. Bass Pro Shops "Magi-Braid" nylon is what I've used for a decade now. Great stuff for fly reel backing. The main thing is to keep your fly reel spool filled. The final retrieve ratio depends on how full the spool is (not the arbor size) and if you want the maximum retrieve ratio you need to use something under the line to put the line at full spool capacity.

I'm not really familiar with the particular product you mention. I suspect it'll work fine. The teflon coating could possibly interfere with the line cinching on the spool arbor and preventing you from having any drag. Maybe. If I were you I'd give it a try and see how it works out. I have a feeling you'll be okay.

Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 01:18PM

Thanks Tom and Phi. My motivation for trying this ice fishing line as fly reel backing is that it is a bit thicker and certainly cheaper than what is sold as fly line backing. I have a couple of other spools I'd like to try it on. Tom, I'll also take a look at the Bass Pro line you mentioned as an alternative. As a kid growing up in Michigan, my dad would take me on these ice fishing outings with no shelter regardless of the weather! Sometimes we would set up a tip-up for pike using a similar dark green, nylon line. We never caught anything big, but I can remember a few times seeing other fishermen pull up through the ice pike over 3 feet long and weighing 15 to 20 lbs. As I remember, this line does not tend to stretch or twist. After all, it is designed to let a live minnow roam around until the big fish shows up. Now, I much prefer to give the fish a rest during the winter months and do other things like build rods and learn to tie flies.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:41PM

Magi-Braid comes in both 20lb and 30lb sizes so if you just need to take up space, opt for the 30lb stuff.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:41PM

Peter,

I stopped buying anything that was labeled "fly line backing" many years ago. I usually get whatever braided nylon or dacron I can find on sale. They both work well. I dont know about anything teflon-coated, but, as Tom said, it'll probably work just fine.

Phil is right. Keep your fingers away from the backing, when the fish makes a run, or you'll get burned. I like to pressure the rim of the reel, with the heel of my left hand (I hold the rod in my right), to try to slow the fish down. I only touch the backing to level the line on the spool as I reel it in. If the fish runs again, I let go of the line, and go back to pressing the rim of the reel with the heel of my left hand.

If there's a chance that you're going to hook into a 15-20# salmon, using light gear..., give yourself the advantage of having as much backing as you can get on that reel. It only needs to be rated slightly stronger than your leader. 20# test is more than strong enough. If you wanted max backing capacity, you could go with 15#, knowing that your 6# tippet is going to break long before the rating of the backing ever comes into play.

Just my .02

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster