I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Live Tail Stock Chuck
Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-204-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:02AM

I'd very much appreciate any guidance, as I've fallen into the terminology black hole. On a Jet mini, I'm looking for a live chuck for the tail stock in order to avoid being locked into machined mandrels. I know exactly what I'm after and I know that a number of you do as well, I just can't seem to find the magic words. I've been bitten by Tom's 3/4" threaded rod bug. I have a good 4 jaw chuck, so I'm thinking a good three jaw on an adapter would be the ticket. Thanks for any help and curse all of you who have posted what I never dreamed possible with wood grips. I can't get enough of the timeless artwork. Good thing the divorce is already taken care of ;)

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Live Tail Stock Chuck
Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:47AM

Do you mean you are looking for a 3-jaw live chuck? Here is one from PSI:

[www.pennstateind.com]

It is live, it will rotate.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-204-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 10:58AM

Thanks much Dan. That's in the right vein, but hoping for something that will take up to at least 1". There must be such an animal out there.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:15AM

Jason,
Of course there is.
Just do an Internet search for live tail stocks for your particular tail stock size. i.e. MT-1, MT-2 or what ever.
You want to purchase a live tail stock that will be fitted with a rotating threaded shaft what will fit the size of the chuck tha you want to use.
I picked up several different live tail stocks for my lathe when I purchased it a bit ago.
I also have several different 3 and 4 jaw chucks which can be screwed onto either the head stock or the live tail stock.

I understand your wishes to be able to chuck something in your lathe that is larger than 1/2 inch.

For the same reason, I also have a live tail stock with an attached 1/2 inch keyless chuck that works very well for stock up to 1/2 inch. But when I go larger than 1/2 inch, I then switch over to the larger tail stock so that I can attach a 3 or 4 jaw chuck.

If you post the details of your tail stock size, as well as the thread size of the chuck you want to use, I will locate one for you.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 21, 2010 11:35AM

Jason,
Penn State Industries has these:

[www.pennstateind.com]

[www.pennstateind.com]

[www.pennstateind.com] -- note, this chuck is for the 3/4 inch threaded shaft. Not the 1 inch threaded shaft.

[www.pennstateind.com] - If your chuck has a 1X8 thread, you can use this spindle adapter to use the smaller 3/4 inch threaded chucks.

Perhaps some of these things will meet your needs.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-205-183.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:24PM

Roger,

Thanks so much. You hit the nail on the head. You wouldn't believe how much time I spend hunting in the wrong haystack for these. The 2MT chuck adapter and spindle adapter are the ticket. I'm going to give 4140 steel 3/4 and 1" threaded rod/coupling nuts a whirl and use reducing coupling nuts for the 7/8, cutting out the chucks all together. 3/4 x 16 and 1 x 8 rods are available, so no reducer needed there. Of course, I'll double or triple nut the couplers so they stay put. I'll probably revisit the chuck at some point but this is what I needed for the moment. I was hoping you'd chime in, as I read your previous posts about tail stock adapters--I just needed the verbiage. If I can make it to High Point next year the elixir of choice is on me!

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Date: March 21, 2010 06:39PM

Jason,
What you are suggesting is really NOT a good idea for use on a lathe.

The reson that I suggest that this is NOT a good idea is the use of thread and thread couplers. The problem is simply that common hardware store variety threads on both thread rod as well a couplings are simply not up to high machine shop standards with respect to being straight true and repeatable. The issue will normally show up as a rod that is not running ture. i.e. you may possibly get a bunch of wobble in your system.

This is one of the main reasons that lathes use tapered machine parts for head stock and tail stock adapters. The use of highly machined tapers result in a very very preceise center with minimum runout or wobble.

I like the idea of using a revolving tail stock, that is part of an MT assembly. This will give you a tail stock that will be dead true, since the entire tail stock is made to be up to the accuracy required for lathe work.
Then, the idea of putting a chuck on the revolving tail stock is also a great idea to capture the rod that you want to use for handle work.

But - think carefully about using things like coupling nuts and eliminating the chucks.

Conversely, if you use a Collet system - which will work in conjunction with your lathe head stock - thus eliminating a chuck - great idea.

Just think carefully about your needs and if you start coupling things together - don't be suprised if you add some wobble into your system.

Take care

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster