I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Determining lure weight range via CCS
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 12:17AM

Tom,

I'm working with a few blanks that don't have any information on them regarding lure weights. The only posts I could find on the forum dated back to Sept. 2004. Is this information still considered current or has a better method been developed? The blanks in question are to be built for spinning and casting.

You can try this in conjunction with the CCS:

For upper end of casting weight range
(1.5 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains

For lower end of casting weight range
(.8 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains

To convert grains to ounces multiply by .0022857

Thanks,

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Determining lure weight range via CCS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2010 08:17AM

I would use the method given by Dr. Hanneman in the URRS contained in Volume 10 #4.

The earlier equation you list was something I came up with as a stopgap until Dr. Hanneman had completed that part of the system.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 10:17AM

Okay, Thanks Tom. I've placed an order for that issue plus another.

-Chad

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 09:49AM

OK for a total newbie where would you point someone to start learning this kind of information, as I also bought several bargain rods at the ICRBE that were stripped of any identifying information. And I would really like to determine there most effective use.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:11AM

Start with the Common Cents Info link at the top of the sponsor list on the left of this page. You'll find articles that were originally published in past issues of Rodmaker magazine. There is also additional information in other issues of Rodmaker. If you plan on really getting into this craft I HIGHLY recommend a subscription to the magazine. You'll get lots of answers to your questions plus answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet ! :)

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:38AM

My equations were based on overall rod power. Dr. Hanneman's work in the URRS uses Tip Power to determine casting weight range, which is the better way to do things if you want the optimum range.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 01:42PM

Any unidentified blank you have post the length, the weight for 1/3 deflection in grams, the action angle, and the blank weight, and we can get you very close by comparing it to a known blank with similar measurements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 01:43PM by mike harris.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster