I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Wrap Problem
Posted by: Will Graham (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 10:19PM

I am building my first rod and I am wrapping the guides with charcoal thread and scarlet trim. The problem is when I went to wrap over the trimmed excess scarlet with the charcoal, the scarlet showed through the charcoal. Is there a way to keep the scarlet from fraying when you cut it? I trimmed my threads using razor blades. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Wrap Problem
Posted by: John Hailey (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 07:09AM

Just my two cents but here is what I do. First when you are cutting your tag end try no to pull too hard on the thread or it will start to unravel as you cut it. After you cut the tag, take a tookpick or something small in diameter and kind of tuck the thread back toward the direstion you pulled it. Pack and burnish and you'll never be able to see the thread underneath the wrap. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2010 08:20AM

I'm guessing you don't read RodMaker.

Without going in the same type of detail, which isn't possible here, you have to open a small gap where the tag end protrudes through the guide wrap. You do this by pulling back with the tag end against the standing wrap. Then you lay a single edge razor blade flush against the guide wrap and bring the tag end back across the blade, stretching it slightly as you do. When the thread parts it will pull back neatly into the small gap you opened. Then use a thumbnail to smooth the gap closed.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 10:06AM

John: I use the same technique as Tom.However I might add to this, that you use a sharp razor.I use a new razor for each new build I do.I,m only a Hobby builder so I don't go through to many blades.I bought two boxes of 100 razor blades each at Harbor Freight for $3.00 per box,so I'm good to go for along time. Hope this helps.

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 12:29PM

I agree with Donald, but it really helps to have the absolute sharpest blade available. I've tried single-edge and double-edge razor blades, surgical scalpel blades, and solid scalpels, and by far the sharpest blade available are the blades that beauticians and barbers use to cut hair. Go to a Sally's or other beautician supply house and get the blades used for cutting hair. They're not cheap, 10 for $5.00. All you have to do is touch the thread and it severes cleanly. These blades are longer and easier to use than other blades. Recommended several years ago by Tom.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 02:32PM

Will,
Many years ago, a very good rod builder suggested using a very sharp - very thin tipped fly tying scissors for trimming rod building thread on guides.

I purchased one and have not used a blade since.

I sharpen the scissors about every two years.

The advantage of the scissor is that you cut as close as a razor blade, but you run 0 risk to nip an existing guide thread.

In the times before I used a scissor, I would nick a thread once in a while and have to retie the guide.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 10:20PM

Be careful with the Harbor Freight blades as they contain an oil coating to prevent rusting when they are on the slow boat from China. This will easily contaminate a wrap. Clean it with denatured alcohol before use.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Smith (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 04:10PM

I have been using this method for a long time. Use some of the Spider wire type line as your pull tag, lay it into the wrap as soon as possible. When you have finished the wrap just make your cut and place the thread thru the pull tag, pull until the thread is under severals wraps then hold it very tight, continue to pull on the pull tag and the braided line will cut the wrapping thread for you. This completely eliminates the need to pull the wrapping thread thru or having to push it back under the wrap and cover it. The braided line is so strong have several I have been using for several years. It is very slick line so when I make a new one I tie several knots in the end of it, then run the doubled line thru a large glass bead like you would use on a Carolina Rig, works great. And 10 or 12 Lb test diameter line is all you need that is like 30 to 40 Lb test., again this does away with all of the problems of pulling the tag end completely thru your wrap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 04:16PM by Steven Smith.

Posted by: Andrew Wright (207.14.37.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 04:31PM

Roger,

Where did you get those Fly Scissors? What Brand?
i have been looking for some and i dont tie flys so i
dont know where to go or which brands are quality

Thank you

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster