I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod balancing
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip18.fastwebnet.it)
Date: March 16, 2010 01:17PM

I'm ready to build my first fly rod. I read all what the books explain about its building (guide spacing, size, numbers, placement etc.) the thing not clear is its balancing. Doing a comparison with spinning and casting rod, where I can balancing the rod in relationship of reel placement, in fly rod how can I proceed?

Thanks in advance
Marco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod balancing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2010 01:32PM

I'd suggest you do a search here under "balancing" or "rod balance." You'll come up with a ton of information. Sometimes a rod balanced to a specific point is a good thing, but other times not. There are a lot of variables to consider and I'd do some reading before making up your mind.

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 02:00PM

i like to set my balance point at where my wrist coincides with intersecting point of the rod forward of the reel, as i have it in my mind that the better the balance the less fatigued my wrist gets casting.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 02:11PM

To me there are too many variables in a flyrod to get tto hung up about balancing the rod. Wether you use a uplocking or down locking seat or even slide bands. The size and weight of the reel, handle material and even the length of the rod itself can all change the balance point.

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.236.---)
Date: March 16, 2010 04:03PM

I dont think I would balance a fly rod, but I do some of my bass rods. I agree with Dick, too many variables and besides,
casting a fly rod to me is not work compared to throwing a swimbait all day.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 06:02PM

It is possible by fiddling with weights to "balance" a fly rod, which I take to mean that a particular point on the finished rod will be a balance point. That point will change when a reel, or a different reel, is affixed to the rod. That point will change when a line, or a different weight line, is employed with the rod. That point will change when a length of line, or a different length of line, is aerialized while casting with this rod.
This adds up to a huge number of different balance points to choose from. You only get to pick one, but which one?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2010 01:15PM

In a past issue of RodMaker, we featured a reel seat that had 2 moveable hoods which allowed you to shift the position of the reel fore or aft, in order to change rod balance without adding any additional weight. This is something to consider.

As an aside, shortly after that article ran, the magazine was accused of "stealing" the idea from another rod builder. However, that builder had actually visited the RodMaker shop a few months prior and saw the seat on my work table. That's where he got the idea, not the other way around. I have photos of him in the shop dated at that time. At least he knew a good thing when he saw it.

At any rate, it's worth considering although to make one you'll have to incorporate the parts from two standard reel seats. This sort of doubles your cost but it gives you a seat that accomplishes what you want to do balance-wise.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: March 18, 2010 11:07AM

All of your answer has an interesting point of view. My point of view is close to Terry's thought, better the balance less fatigued has the wrist during the casting (maybe because I come from spinning practice), but how can I do to balance the rod if all weight (reel), is at the end of my rod? so, in fly rod the reel is positioned on the blank's butt and to compensate for balance where I put the counterweight ? What's the best pratice? I hope have been sufficiently clear cause the language
Thank you to all for your support
Marco

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.179.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 01:08PM

Marco:

Do you and Terry mean the rod balances with all the line wound on the reel while you are carrying it, or when you are casting with thirty feet or some other amount of line in the air? If you mean it balances while you are actually using it, how do you plan to allow for the varying weight (resistance) which will result from different length false casts, the use of different lines, using different flies, or coping with different winds? Each situation is quite different, you know.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:26AM

Phil, I understand your point of view and all your considerations about fly rod balancing, therefore to build my fly rod I need to choose all the necessary material ( blank, reel seat, grip,guides etc) in relationship to the kind of rod I want build, assembling it and that's all. is it right ?
In other words I dont' balance the rod, because there are too many variables. Is this the right way to go?

Thanks
Marco

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster