I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks for Extending Blanks!!
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:00AM

I am looking for a supplier of butt sections in graphite for extending blanks. I have some old rods for this purpose but I am fast running out. Does anyone know a supplier?

Thanks
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks for Extending Blanks!!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:30AM

Chris,
I have gone over to Good will or salvation army and picked through their bins. You can typically find several rods for $1 total.
Then, simply chop and grind as needed for blank extensions. It only takes a few minutes with a chop saw and razor blade to clean up a blank to use as an extension. Typically cost about 10 cents per extension.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2010 07:50AM

That's a great idea and much more productive than waiting on yard sales. Thanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 08:48AM

[www.nealsfishingtackle.com]

[www.gofishin.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:02AM

Is Neal still around?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:05AM

Check my post, the link

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:08AM

I picked up a bunch of tip ends of broken rods at a Cabela's store in the "bargain cave" a couple months back... I didn't think to look for extension pieces, but that may be a good source as well. I paid $1 a piece for the tip sections, and they all had guides and tip tops as well. I managed to get around $70 worth of guides give or take for about $8, plus can use the blank sections to make ice fishing rods. Just another option you may want to check into.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:03PM

At the ICRBE, Scott at Fishsticks let me dig through a huge box of pieces that were perfect for this. I made him take five bucks because he didn't want anything for them. I would try to call them.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:30PM

Neal is still around but is working hard so it may take a while for him to get back to you. There is no harm in trying right??

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 02:06PM

If they can be glass, I've got lots of 4-1/2' & 5' Lami's that I bought just for practice, extensions, reamers, etc... even though they're still worthy of building on. I don't put them on our site just because people tend to view them as buildable blanks and want line weights, lure weights, etc... and at 5 blanks for $20, we can't really afford to spec them. Drop me an email if you're interested. Five blanks would ship for around $10.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 04:50PM

While we are talking Goodwill, I have used...gulp.....aluminum ski poles. They are lightweight, tapered, strong, and do a great job as butts.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2010 11:07PM

Thanks lads.. good info here.

Mark, I am in Australia so I will have a hunt around locally frist.

Thanks agian.

Cheers
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster