I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem With Flexcoat Drying Motor
Posted by: Ryan Dietman (209.202.134.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 05:38PM

I have the Flexcoat 6 rpm finishing motor with adjustable chuck, seen here: [www.mudhole.com]. The motor is about to go out anysecond now, and I'm a little worried about leaving it unattended. The Flexcoat replacement motor is pretty pricey, but there is another motor that's only $13 and some change. (Seen here: [www.mudhole.com]). Does anyone know if the chuck from the Flexcaot motor will work work with the cheaper one? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem With Flexcoat Drying Motor
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2010 05:54PM

I'd call Mud Hole and ask. I'd guess somebody there would be happy to get one out and see if they'll interchange.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:26PM

I just went through this several months ago, there is a definate difference in the shaft between the Flex coat and the one for pac bay. I wound up with both motors and still haven't used either of them yet.

You should call Mudhole and talk to someone to see if they know how to make the cheaper one fit your flexcoat.

If you do a search for hankscraft motors (model E) you might come up with what you're looking for.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 09:28PM by Walt Davenport.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:29PM

Ryan,
Another option is to check the internet as well as surplus stores. A couple of years ago, I found a bunch of new 6 rpm motors in a surplus store that were virtually identical to the flex coat motors for 50 cents each.

My only downside was that I only purchased a half dozen. When I went back to get more, they were all sold out and I have not found any since then. But check these sources from time to time and it may suprise you at what you might find.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Another very good option, which many folks over look is to use a DC low voltage gear motor. You can often find a 6,12, or 24 volt DC gear motor of the correct speed on the internet for a couple of dollars. Then, simply find a plug in power supply of the correct voltage for another couple of dollars and you will be set. Most of these DC gear motors are of very high quality and very long lasting motors.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 11:28PM

I'll second roger on the surplus store. I only got 2 to see how they'd last, and while they have not quit yet (and I doubt they will), the store no longer has them. What you want to look for in those for a/c is a timing motor as its designed to run continuous duty. Anything with finish and intermittent duty is asking for failure at the exact time when you need it the least. Been there, done that.

D/C gear motors also a great option as you have the ability to turn it both ways depending on polarity and when compared with their a/c timing motor cousins, they have significantly more torque and power which is great for things like heavy offshore stand up rods. As my motors slowly dwindle off (I'm on year 4 with them now at 2.50 a piece), I will likely be switching to D/C gear motors due the reasons listed above, but also one nice little thing that may or may not be of importance. They are SILENT, my current motors are quiet, but not silent.

Date: March 02, 2010 01:10AM

In addition to what Sean mentions on the type of motors, be sure to NOT use a shaded pole motor for a timing motor. These 110v AC motors are the motors that have an armature with a single heavy copper band running through the center which supplies the starting torque. The issue with these motors for a dryer, is that the starting wire is engaged all of the time causing the motor to continue to heat.

I had found a batch of motors - all nice 6 rpm motors that I was going to use for a multi bank dryer.

After receiving the motors, I wired up one motor, plugged it in, left it on a piece of shipping foam on the top of a plastic topped work table.
I came back to the shop about 4 hours later to find that the motor had gotten so hot that it had melted through the foam support, and was 2/3rds of the way melted through the table top.

Fortunately, I was able to ship back the entire shipment of motors.

If one were to have used this group of motors for intermittent operation - i.e. on for two minutes and then off for three minutes; they would have worked just fine. Also, if a large cooling fan had been added to each motor, they also would have worked well.

Better to just stay away from these shaded pole motors.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 03:40PM

Ryan,
The link that you put up is for the entire new assembly. They sell just the motor and that is a $30 savings right there. Here is the link to the 16rpm motor, but I just bought the 6RPM a month or so ago and I know they have them.

[www.mudhole.com]

Do it right. The 30 bucks you save will cost you hundreds in the future with one failure while drying a rod.

Kevin

Date: March 02, 2010 08:16PM

Kevin,
Doing it "Right" means putting a reliable motor on your dryer.

A reliable motor may be obtained from many many world wide sources. Obtain the drying motor from the source that makes the most sense to you to do the job that is needed.

Virtually every product that is used in rod building - has a use some where else in the industrial world and typically has multiple suppliers to supply this product.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Ryan Dietman (209.202.134.---)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:53AM

Thanks Kevin. I know that they do have the motor only, but as I mentioned, it's a little pricey. $45, not $30. Just seems like there would be cheaper options out there, On a positive note, I did receive an email from an individual at Flexcoat, but haven't had a chance to call him yet. Just the fact that he took the time to reached out to me unsolicited speaks volumes on their customer service. Thanks to all.

Ryan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:32PM

I have been using the motor in the higher RPM from Mud Hole for many years now. No problems at all.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster