I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod CP issues
Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:07PM

Just curious...has anyone had any trouble with Gudebrod CP? I am doing some practice/sample tiger wraps on a spare blank and used the CP on the underwrap. When I put it on, the thread went almost clear and was a little streaky. You can see the tag ends of the thread under the wrap, and looked almost like you could see the burnish marks. I thought maybe once it dried the color would come back, but its been about 2 hours now and still looks almost the same as when I put it on.

This is a brand new bottle. I shook it up really well to make sure it was mixed. Luckily I am using it for the first time on a practice piece (see...we do learn things now and then). Maybe I just need to wait a lot longer for it to dry all the way through? It's definitely not acting like the U40 product I just finished off. Ideas?

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod CP issues
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:21PM

Not sure, but some have said the new formulation wasn't as good as the good old formulation. Maybe some who have expierenced it first hand will chime in.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:45PM

My seminar advice rings true, and all CP formulators are going to hate me but it's the truth - every CP stinks, (I dind't say stink). There isn't one that works for everyone, there are complaints about each and every one. YOu are ahead of the game, testing first to see how it works before finding out a new brand doesn't work the way you hope it does. The good news is, CP is the cheapest part of building any rod, so for $5 you really havent' lost much if you find that one doesnt' work well for you. I want to make sure nobody thinks I'm singling out the brand mentioned here, as I wan tto make it clear I'm singling them ALL out. FInd one that you can get to work well, one that you know what to expect, and stick to it.

Thre have been a bazillion CP posts, and everyone always has different recommendations for what to use. It's funny to see someone post use xyz, and someone else says I tried xyz, it doesnt' work, use ABC. lol.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:49PM

The U40 product, and the Flex Coat product, are straight water based acrylics. The older Gudebrod 811 was a urethane/acrylic. I have no idea what the product is based on but it's definitely a different product than what Gudebrod has utilized over the past 10 years.

Date: March 01, 2010 05:00PM

Haha thanks Billy...and I enjoyed the seminar.

This one says its water-based and also says it is #811. Supposed to be environmentally safe and all that, but don't drink it! (It says not to on the bottle)

About 3 hours in and it got a little lighter, but the lime green one still looks almost like variegated thread, the candy apple red looks like garnet, and the gunmetal looks like um...rather not say...too dark though. Don't know why its all swirly, like some of it penetrated and some did not. Will keep you posted.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 05:20PM

If you burnished the thread, maybe it got roughed up? I dunno why it's swirly either. I probably shouldn't have said or posted that, but with all the problems everyone has with CP, it should make them feel a sigh of relief they aren't alone. I will say thay I have tested and used a bit of CP, almost exclusively on dec wraps and straight wraps, not at all on guides. The biggest problem I have with CP is they each have a different level of "P". They usually all darken the thread uniformly, unles I've done a poor job packing, or I only use 1 coat of CP.

Specifically with MAdeira darker colors - no matter what CP you use, certain MAdeira colors are going to darken. THe lighter colors will usually come back and almost match the color on teh spool (certain CP's do better than others), but the darker Madeira colors will often get even darker. I dont blame the CP for this, it's the thread's fault. Going one step further, it's MY fault if I don't test and take into account the real life results of CP and epoxy, trying to use Jedi forces to make CP work with thread 100% perfectly is unrealistic, taking 5 minutes to brush CP on half your Madeira color chart so you see the actual effect of CP on the threads is what a smart person woudl do.

Posted by: James Smith (---.dec.state.ny.us)
Date: March 01, 2010 05:53PM

Since I am an occasional rod builder, making 1 to 3 rods a year (or re-building them after I break 'em!), my experience may speak to what works well even with limited experience (talent? lol). I had color retention problems on wraps come out poorly using multiple coats of the new style Gudebrod CP on Gudebrod thread. I switched to Flex Coat CP and have no problems since using two thins coats before epoxy. My application technique and handling is exactly the same. On the wraps that came out poorly, it looks like there was still some way for the epoxy to penetrate into the threads.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 08:40PM

I just recently used it on a rod and it does not work. It cost me 10 hrs to strip the guides off.
I spent a large amount of time asking guys at the NC show which one 'really' works.
Bottom line...Everything but the Gudebrod.

I have been successful with Flexcoat, but there are issue with it that is not to my liking...the white clumps for one.

I purchased some others at the show and will be testing them out.

You did the right thing by testing before using.

My 'bust' but I knew there were issue with Gudebrod, but I got lazy and did not test. I wrote a letter to Gudebrod to complain, don't expect and answer but I want to let them know that their product is not to my liking.

Date: March 01, 2010 08:56PM

Ah well...I have a big bottle of *insert other brand here* that I got at the show and is one that was mentioned as working above. Just wanted to try out the Gudebrod first.

Actually, I think this is going to look kinda cool under a tiger wrap, what with the swirly effect and all. Mebbe I hit a new technique! If it comes out I will post some pics.

Thanks all.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:33AM

I use the Flex Coat but I thin it with a few drops of water and put several coats on The 811 - the old stuff was good but ya can not trust it now.

You could try to thin with water just a little and then try it on new thread. See if it works for you They do seem to get old and lumpy.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 01:43AM

I have personally tested the Cason Crystal Clear, before it was marketed, on Silk, Mariera polyneon and Gudebrod Nylon on these colors for each: White, Yellow, Green, Blue and Red. It was far superior to numeros other CPs that I have used. Since it water thin/clear there is also no clumping and no thinning. Finally it is deloped by a fellow rodbuilder.

Kerry

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 03:48PM

I've also struggled with the water based CP's. I never had problems before, but lately I've found that if applied straight from the bottle the results were very blotchy. It seems they are now too thick to dry properly? I've tried several different brands, they all seem to behave similarly. I haven't tried the Cason brand though. I have had good luck lately by Using the American Tackle brand and thinning it half and half with water. I Put the first coat on as light as possible and let it dry completely. I am using 5 or 6 coats, letting each coat dry completely and the colors restore. I keep applying until the color no longer changes with a fresh application. It takes several extra days to finish a rod, but it's worth it to preserve painstaking threadwork. Hope that helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster