I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wraps
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 10:38PM

what are the differences between all the spirals out there? ie. acid/spiral, o'quinn, roberts, foran?
pics and location in degrees would be a great plus!
thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wraps
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: March 01, 2010 08:17AM

You are asking for a lot of information in a simple message board post. All those systems. along with photos and specifics were fully covered in Rodmaker a few years ago. If you can find that back issue then you will have everything you need in a single place. It had them all in one very nice article.

All the systems do the same thing, allowing the line to go where it wants to go, under the rod. They just allow it to go there in different ways and distances.

Date: March 01, 2010 10:22AM

i think i found that back issue...volume 6 #5...it is sold out...is there anyone who would be willing to share the back issue with the info on the spirals?
thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 10:35AM by Cheng Moua.

Posted by: Phil Muck (---.1.233.64.transedge.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 01:03PM

Check out Acidwrap.com (sponsor to the left). They have info on the acid wrap.

Date: March 01, 2010 02:15PM

yep. checked that out already. ordered most of my stuff from there. they show three spiral methods - simple, slow, and forhan. i would still like to know what the difference is between the roberts and o'quinn compared to the the three mentioned earlier.
and also, is there a preference to a a specific spiral?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 02:23PM

Cheng,
Just get a diagram for each style wrap.
Tape your guides in place temporarily, thread line through the guides and tip and do some test passess of letting out line and retreiving, both unloaded and with a loaded rod.

See which style suits you best and wrap the rod to your liking.

Remember, when you look at the various style spiral wraps, the differences that you are considering, only deal with the first 2-4 guides. After that, the running guides are all the same for the different style wraps.

Each builder and user has specific likes and dislikes. It is up to you to decide what is best for your specific case.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 02:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:59PM

Unhide your email address, I might be able to help you.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 07:01PM

I cut the foot off of an old spinning rod and epoxied a small level to the top of the stem. That way I can mount it on the reel seat and level the seat every time in seconds. I made a mark on the mount of my rod lathe that was my top dead center. Use the degree wheel to mark your chuck on your power wrapper so you know where to mount your guides. When you are ready to start mounting guides line up the zero degree mark and the Top dead Center mark then tighten the jaws of your chuck while holding the reel seat level. Mount the first guide, rotate around to the next mark and mount the next guide then do the same for the third. It makes it simple, there is no need to figure out where to mount your guides every time you build a rod..

Date: March 01, 2010 07:54PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheng,
> Just get a diagram for each style wrap.

yep, thats what im trying to do. i already have the @#$%& diaghram. just looking for the other ones out there.

Grant Darby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unhide your email address, I might be able to help
> you.

done! email address unhidden!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:59AM

That is well and good. But you still have to load test the rod to make sure the line falls to the bottom of the guide ring.No two blanks flex the same Just mark down the spacing and quick degrees of each guide place them on load it and adjust.

I always let the line tell me where to place the guides. Straightest path.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster