I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

verticle jigging rod guide placement
Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:11PM

Hey guys. I have been building for 30 years and am embaressed to say having trouble with guide placement on this rod. A customer asked me to build a verticle jig rod and I am haveing trouble with the guide placement. Its a 6 ft 6 in 30 to 50 pound conventional reel. Now this rod under stress test bends like crazy and is super slow. After the handle set up there is only about 44inches to work with. If I want the line to not pass lower then the blank it will need a LOT of guides. When fish fighting this rod would almost double. It will also need to be super light as this type of offshore fishing can be very demanding over the course of the day. Bottom line does anyone have a guide placement suggestion for this type of rod? I do know i want to spiral but first I need to set up the guides.

Billy B-Rod Co
Billy Broderick
Rod builder for over 25 years!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: verticle jigging rod guide placement
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:47PM

Place teh guide to keep the line off the foregrip. Nothing changes from rod to rod, they are all the same. If the guide you use doesn't keep the line off the foregrip, use a larger guide.

Date: February 28, 2010 03:00PM

But Billy it seems like alot of guides because of the action? And what spiral method do you use on these? Seems it really needs to get around really fast with such a short distance so simple not revolver?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 04:07PM

Pick any system and modify it to meet your needs

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 04:51PM

I use my own system, common sense. Make sure the line touches the guides on ful load and you're done. Takes less than a minute. I don't get caught up in this method or that, I know what works for me and I stick with that for every rod I build regardless of type. Number of guides - is up to you. If you think there are too many than use less. You gotta be happy with the finished product, so you gotta see what works for you and makes you happy.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 06:01PM

Billy is right on! Find a system that works for you. Nothing is written in stone

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Starling (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 06:20PM

Billy B - I've built a number of vertical jigging rods for grouper using a 5'8" blank. I used the simple spiral with bumper guide on all of them and it works well. Don't count the bumper in your guide spacing, but put it half way between your stripper/butt guide and the next 180-degree guide. With the line running under the blank, you may find you don't need as many guides as you originally thought. Billy V is right on about the larger stripper/butt guide - go tall. I use a Fuji HNSG-20 and the rest HNSG-10's. Good luck.

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 06:40PM

Billy, once y ou put on the 2 or three guides to get to the bottom of the rod, you will no longer have the line touching the blank under any circumstance.
Then, simply put on enough guides to get the line to follow the contour of the loaded blank. In 44 inches - maybe a total of 5 guides?

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.192.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:42AM

Mudhole or Am Tack 6650 by any chance?? I've built those blanks up before and had the same issues. I use a 25mm stripper guide, usually a LRSG or Low Rider 20, for my stripper guide, right off the foregrip to get clearance there. I then place the guides on the bottom as I normally would. From there, I put line thru the guides and put the rod into a max flex and mark where the line hits the blank at the 9 oclock position. My 90 degree guide that serves as a bumper goes there and I static test again to make sure that the line is pushing the bumper guide directly back to the blank where the guide foot meets the ring. This guide doesn't load; it just keeps the line from hitting the blank. It is a very quick transition, but I have not had any problems with that yet! Or you could do the taller stripper guide right off of the foregrip and a 2 guide transition like the others have said. I found the key is the tall stripper guide right off the foregrip for rods that flex as much as these do!!

Date: March 01, 2010 10:29PM

Thanks guys worked great as stated. The key was that first guide which ended up being a 20. Roger ofcourse you were right as I should have realized it didn't take anywhere near as many guides as i was seeing. I use Toms method where i start wtih all guides on top then wrap them on the bottom. For this particlular set up that won't work. I just did my static with the line following the rods bend and voila.Timothy thanks for the simple spiral suggestion. I went with a modified spiral I guess you could call it as it is not a simple or true revolver. This is such an exciting way to fish in the keys and sw fla that i better build one for myself next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster