I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaska Rod Builders
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:37PM

The second gathering of the Alaska Rodbuilders went off without a hitch. It was a small gathering of 5 including myself and Kathy, my girlfriend. The other three attendee's were Yasuhiro Ozuru "Yas", Pete Picket, and Herman Knott. Going into the day I have to admit I was a bit nervous. I had several items to talk about. I wanted to make sure we were kept busy, and that I could present things in a helpful mannerI couldn't have been more pleased with the way the day went. First off I didn't have to talk about anything. It was great the group just sat and talked about rodbuilding all day. There was no set format. We just sat and talked rodbuilding. I will cover everyones rodbuilding background .
"Yas" is primarily a fly rod guy. He brought some of his rods down, and he does excellant work. He makes his own handles, using a drill as a lathe. You would never know they wern't done on a high dollar lathe. The craftsmanship on his rods was all very impressive. Now if we can get him started on some decorative wraps.
Herman is primarily a Saltwater rod guy. He brought in several rods some rebuilds, one of which is a Gaff the he built on an old fiberglass rod blank. He too does very nice work Which was highlighted in a Bamboo fly rod he rebuilt for a friend. We were all in awe on that one.
Pete is a new builder. He came to see what rodbuilding was all about. He brought down an old T&T fly rod he is interested in rebuilding. There were a couple times I saw the "Deer in the headlights" look on his face. I hope we didn't bury him in information, and that he comes back again.
My building experience covers a lot of bases in the rodbuilding game. I have done enough in all areas that I can bring my experiences/mistakes to talk about. Most recently I have been concentrating on perfecting the decorative wraps.

I will post pictures in the picture page.

I want to thank Yas, Pete, and Herman for coming out. All 3 were great sports, and made the day very easy. I am looking forward to doing it again.
I would also like to take the time to thank my girlfriend Kathy. She is my #1 Supporter. and she understand that robuilding is a passion of mine. She gives me the pat on the back when I need it, and her honest opinion when I need it. She was there all day, took a few pictures, and brought us coffee back when she made an errand run. Most of all she was there in case I forgot something, which happens quite a bit........lol Thank you Babe.

There will be another gathering the end of March. I will announce it as soon as I know we can get the Legion reserved. Which brings to mind one last Thank You and that is to American Legion Post 33. A big Thank You for letting us use your space.

Kirk

Here is a photo link. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 03:16PM by Kirk_Miller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaska Rod Builders
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:52PM

Build it and they wil come. It's mazing how many builders are around once you put something together. I'm glad you weren't deterrred after teh first one, adn that you got a few builders to show up. Sounds like a nice well rounded group, I hope to see you have a couple more show up for the March gathering. Great job!!

Date: February 28, 2010 03:21PM

One last Thank You is to Billy and the NERBS. I attended one of their gatherings on a work related trip to the East Coast. I learned what a gathering was all about. I came home motivated to start a group of rodbuilders out here. Billy offered his advice and encouragement. I can't thank him and the NERBS enough.

Kirk

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 05:32PM

Kirk, Nice job. It all starts small and will snowball. Billy is a great driving force. The NERBS will be world wide sooner than later. Nerbs t-shirts were the most popular shirt worn at the ICRBE. You dont have to be from the NE to be one . That is the beauty of it all.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 05:35PM

Exelent meeting all that attended.
I learned a few things, showed a few things, all in all time well spent.
Im all worked up to start on my jig rods and some weaves.
Kathy is a very understanding lady and a lot of help to Kirk.
Another meeting of (ARB) Alaska Rod Builders is comming soon I hope.
Thanks again
Herman

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 05:54PM

Glad o see you guys get together. Someday we'll have an Interior Alaska Rod Builders or IARB? hrmm need better than that. Maybe we'll just hook up with you guys. Hopefully we can meet sometime this summer.

Date: February 28, 2010 07:27PM

Herman thanks again for coming out. It was a great afternoon. Kathy is a great lady and very patient, one has to be patient with me sometimes..............lol I will let you know when the next gathering will be as soon as I can reserve the Legion again.

John I have added you to my email list. I hope you don't mind I am not sure what part of the interior you call home, but there are 2 guys from Fairbanks that have expressed interest in a rodbuilding group. I am sure someone can get the ball rolling up there. I love to get out in the summer time so maybe we can pick a central location and have a Rodbuilders Fishing outing

Posted by: Mike Garone (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 10:11PM

Kirk it was good meeting you when you were down here in New Jersey. Glad to see you got something going up there. Keep up the good work.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:37AM

Hey Mike,
It was a great time meeting all the NERBS. I came back motivated to build some rods, and to get a rodbuilding group started up here. I don't know when the opportunity will come for a trip back to NJ, but I can guarantee I will jump at the chance to come visit again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster