I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Reel Seats
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2010 12:01AM

What are your favorite reel seats for baitcasting rods - I really like the Fuji ACS Exposed reel seat. Looking for a seat that will be even lighter, anyone have experience with the Minima seats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Reel Seats
Posted by: Tom Carter (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 01:34AM

I can let ya know in a few days. I have tried them on spinning and like them, but the build i am doing now is a casting rod with a minima.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 10:22AM

Jay,
You need to temper your desire for absolute light weight with the needs and comfort of the fisherperson in mind.

There are quite a few things that one can do to make a rod lighter. But, if the ligher weight comes at the expense of fishing comfort, then the changes aren't the right changes to make for that particular fisherperson.

Light weight is great and helps out for many things.

But remember, fishing rods are tools to catch lots of fish when used for hours on end, day after day, month after month.

If a very light rod is built that is uncomfortable to use, it will be a great novelty for a few outings, but will soon find a spot in a dusty closet for the rest of its life.

Don't forget the needs of the person who is destined to use this tool while building.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 11:27AM

If you fish baitcasters the way a lot of people fish baitcasters - by grasping much of the reel during retrieve, then the lightweight, exposed blank reel seats are just fine to use. I've used the Swampland baitcast reel seats and they're very light weight, affordable and fit the blank very snuggly without needing to install an arbor for the threaded barrel portion of the seat like the minimas require. I would actually like to try the fuji ACS as it actually looks very comfortable - even IF it is slightly heavier than other similar seats. WHERE the added weight is located on the rod is often more important than the overall weight of the rod, and having a slightly heavier reel seat should not noticably reduce rod sensitivity. For Spinning rods, I like the AERO seat. It's simply the most comfortable seat I've used to date.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 11:32AM

Torin,
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 11:33AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2010 01:23PM

If you like the ACS seat you are in the minority. Most people that I know, including myself, hate the feel of that seat. The grooves lock you into a single position, and for most people that is not very comfortable, maybe Japanese designers don’t have fingers as fat as most Americans. My favorite casting seat is a split CastAway, the advantage to using the CastAway for a split seat is that you don’t have to use any shims under the threaded barrel end it fits directly onto the blank. All split seats are more comfortable on larger diameter blanks, but I have built them using down to a 9.5mm seat and still liked the feel. The other reel seat that people with larger hands like is the standard ECS or one of the clones, I have one customer who has gigantic hands and it is the only seat he can use comfortably.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:03PM

I had a bass fisherman have me take the groves off. he did not like the feel of it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 02:31PM

Swamplands Castaway reel seat, cut and split is by FAR my favorite. Dang shame I cant get one to fit larger musky blanks.

Split reel seats could be uncomfortable to some people on thinner butt diameter rods, or in general, but I haven't found one yet. Today I cut 5" off the butt of a brand new MHX SJ782, split and shaved a 11.5mm Castaway seat and mounted it all. Even this thinner butt rod with the split seat feels great to my hands. Everyone is different.

Castaway.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster