I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Lamiglas blank
Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: February 23, 2010 03:36PM

I purchased a Lamiglas xmg50 blank from Mudhole at the show. The blank is the lp843. When I was looking at it last night, there are visible ribs in the top 8 inches of the blank. Is this normal for that blank? It is almost like it wasn't completely sanded in that part of the blank.

Thanks
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Lamiglas blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 07:23PM

Rick,
No normal "production" blank should have visible ribs.

Normally, the ribs are part of the layup process and a good production run will sand off all of the ribs.

Either sand off the ribs, or exchange it for a different blank.

i.e.
Unless you like the looks of the ribs. Sometimes these ribs add a rather unique special effect. They really don't affect the action of the rod except to make it a touch heavier.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 08:30PM

Roger;
With out trying to sound arrogant you are wrong.
I know of at least one bank maker that leaves a certain amount of the ribbing on the blank.
There thought process is that the slightly increased thickness adds to the blanks durability.

Rick;
In your case I would call and ask, could be the same manufacturer making that blank

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:12PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Either sand off the ribs, or exchange it for a
> different blank.

I don't think I would be sanding. Sanding margins on blanks, especially near the tip are very small. 90% of my builds are on unfinished blanks and many of these have noticable ribs. I've never noticed a performance issue nor had a client complain or ask about them.

Fish on.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:22PM

I agree. Some of my XMGs and even my NFCs have visible "ribs"

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 08:40AM

Like Alex and Steve said, manufacturers have to be very careful when sanding the tip areas, especially on a blank with a very thin tip like those XMG LP blanks. This is one of the main reasons why so many blanks get painted, cosmetic defects that have no bearing on the rods function get covered up and they get to have a much higher yield of sellable blanks. I strip the paint off of nearly all the blanks I build on and many of them have ridges at the tip or transitions between patterns that are not the most aesthetically pleasing to look at but have no effect on the function.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:27AM

Thanks guys. I thought that would be the case. It clearly starts where the taper changes and is consistant from that point to the top. I had never built on a blank like this before and wanted to make sure before I fired it up.

Rick

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:33AM

On the XMG's the tips are final sanded by hand so that is left to avoid oversanding of a very thin wall.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:49AM

Steve,
You are right, I am not familiar with every single rod and blank, and it is certainly up to the manufacturer to leave ribs on a blank if they prefer.
I apologize.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster