I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closed Wrap software
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 03:40PM

Does anyone have any information regarding layout software for center spacing on closed diamond wraps. There was a program that I remember that would allow you to see the actual proposed wrap but I don't know if that included center spacing. I don't remember a seat of the pants rule for spacing without a computer. Any help would be appreciated.I know that the spacing shrinks as the blank dia. gets smaller but trial and error takes too much time. Thanks all. I probably should have asked some of the talent at the Expo last week but I was so starstruck that I just forgot. Great show Tom. I revisited most booths twice but I'm sure I missed something.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closed Wrap software
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 04:07PM

Hot the sponsor link for VisualWrap/VisualWeave on the left.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 04:41PM

Visual Wrap is the only Wreap software that I know of. It was available at the show. Great program

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.0.---)
Date: February 23, 2010 06:57PM

Robert.

Billy V's book on decorative wraps has the formula in it as well. The visual wrap program is the cat's meow though.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 08:12PM

Someone on this board also has a taper offset spacing excel sheet. That thing is VERY VERY useful. Thank you again to whomever I got it from!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:47PM

There is a trick given in the book Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens that uses lined paper.

What one does is measure the circumference of the blank at the beginning and starting point of the wrap. Draw a line as long as the circumference of the
bottom area on the paper starting at the left indent marker and then count down as many lines as you plan to have pattern repeats and draw a line equal in length to the tip side circumference starting at the left indent same as the other line. Now draw a straight line connecting the right side tips of the butt & tip lines. Since the butt line is longer than the tip line the connecting line will angle to the left from top to bottom and cross each of the printed lines of the paper. Measure the distances from the printed left indent lines and the points where your drawn line connecting the butt & tip lines meets each of the printed lines. Those measurements are each of the pattern spacings from butt to tip side.

This method s not as accurate as Visual Wrap or the the previously mentioned excel sheet but in many cases it will get the job done. Visual Wrap also provides the measurements for all the axis at once where one would have to apply the method above to each axis.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 01:29PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.134.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 12:54PM

Ray. Thanks for posting Dale's tip. That sounds quick and easy.

cheers
Harold

Date: February 25, 2010 01:34PM

Sorry, my earlier post said "diameter" where I meant circumference! I edited it to show that.

Raymond Adams

Date: February 25, 2010 01:34PM

double post

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 01:38PM by Raymond Adams.

Date: February 25, 2010 01:35PM

Sorry, triple post! UGH!.

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 01:39PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 08:04PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses- more than I ever hoped for. Visual Wrap does seem to be the way to go. Thanks again

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster