I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides fraying line?
Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:44AM

Had a client call me today. A rod that I refurbished for him a few years ago is fraying his line. I used the batson/forecast zirconium ring guides on this casting rod at the time. I don't use em anymore. Anyway, he said that he can hear the line coming through the guides and he can see the line being frayed. He can also feel it. He has spooled up brand new line and can still notice it. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides fraying line?
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:46AM

Cracked ring, wipe around it with a cotton ball and see where it catches

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:53AM

Greg,

You might ask the client if he has recently switched from Mono to Braided line. If so, it is likely that there is nothing wrong with the guides. i.e. braids will result in sound from the guides and may also seem that they are fraying, when in fact, they really aren't.

However, as the other post suggested = a test with a q tip to detect any cracks or bad spots in the guide is in order. It is quite possible that one of the guides has broken, cracked, or possibly the ceramic is completly gone. Test, check and see.
Replace the bad guide or guides.

Perhaps, it is necessary to sell the client another refurb job with different guides.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: RICK STEVENS (---.orlandotelco.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:53AM

Another thing I have seen people do that ruin guides is when they hook there lures or hooks on the guide ring and not on the brace.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:19PM

cracked rings sometimes are not easy to see, i had to check three times before i found it. never thought about the q tip, thats why i read this site, i learn every day

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 10:27PM

Roger, great idea on the q-tip! That really makes sense. I have had guides get "dirty". when dirty water deposits, anything that may leave a deposit on the guides. I just clean them with reel magic. It helps clean them up. But if there is a small crack, I would sure use Rogers idea. That is the tip of the month, for sure!

Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster