I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

casting competition
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 08:21AM

I know its been mentioned but i can't find it. what time is the casting competition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: casting competition
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 08:50AM

I believe it starts at 2pm.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 12:58PM

I hope to have my rod ready. I have spent the last month going back and forth on different spinning reels and spool sizes. I even bought one of the large spool reels from the US Reel Company.

This morning I made a decision based on hours and hours of backyard casting.......line for line and rod for rod, reels with smaller diameter spools will cast further than reels with larger diameter spools. I cannot explain it and will not even try. But I know what I know. I have cast the same rod with the same guide set up with both smaller and larger diameter spool reels and the smaller diameter spool reel always wins. I have even gone back and optimized the guide set up for each particular sized reel and the smaller diameter spool reel still comes out on top. So my decision has been made to go with an ultra light style reel in a small diameter spool design. It just beat all and any other reels I tried. Go figure.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2010 01:45PM

The larger the spool, the larger the coils of line coming off the spool which is detrimental to distance.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 01:59PM

Ken:
I have a request to ask of you.
One of the gentlemen that could not be at the show, but wanted to enter into the competition shipped me a rod he built. So I could enter it for him and be his designated caster.

He’s asked me to use one of the large spool US reels on it during the casting.
I do not have one. Would you bring yours and allow me to use it to cast with?
He specifically asked me to use the 230 model.

Date: February 14, 2010 04:06PM

Steve,

All you'd have to do is get the measurement of the 230 spool and then select any spinning reel that has the same spool diameter. Nothing moves on a spinning reel on the cast so the brand is not important.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 04:19PM

Will there be certain rules?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2010 04:32PM

Thanks Tom
I’m game to use any reel that size. Just don't have one and was trying to avoid buying one that I may never use again.

Date: February 14, 2010 04:52PM

1. Rods/reels to be entered must be capable of being fished in a reasonable manner. Maximum rod length is 6’6” total. Reel may be any fishable spinning or casting reel of your choice.

2. Contestants may supply their own line but must be able to prove that it is either Berkley Trilene XL?6lb test (mono class) or Berkley Fireline Braid 20/6 designation (braid class). Line will be provided for those who wish. In order to save time, you may wish to provide your own and spool it prior to the contest.

3. Each contestant will use the same casting plug for all contest casts. It is a rubber plug and has been weighed by a member of the U.S. Postal service on a calibrated scale at .377 ounces. (approximately 3/8ths ounce). We went through a batch and selected the one closest to .375. These do vary by a bit.

4. Each contestant will be given 2 practice casts, one of which must reach at least 100 feet in either mono class and 120 feet in either braid class, in order to qualify for a subsequent 3 measured contest casts. (You will not be competitive if you cannot reach at least these specified distances.) All casts will be made from a standing line - no run ups and no whirling dervish stuff. Just a cast like you would perform when fishing.

5. The casting lane is 25 feet wide. There is no deduction for casts that are not straight down the middle, but any cast landing outside the 25 feet casting corridor will be disqualified and will count as 1 of the 3 allowed casting attempts. (Casting lane width may be adjusted if high winds are present.) Distance will be measured in a straight line down the center of the concourse, not along any angle of the cast. Distance will be measured to the point where the casting plug comes to rest.

6. The longest cast within each of the 4 categories (Casting-braid/mono, and Spinning-braid/mono) will be declared the winner.

The spirit of the competition is to learn something about rod design and guide set ups - remember this was discussed earlier. I have already heard from some folks that asked about bringing contraptions that are far outside the bounds of anything resembling reasonable fishing tackle. That's not in the spirit of the contest. There are no prizes to be awarded. It's a bunch of rod builders getting together for an hour on a Friday afternoon to learn from each other on rod design, not something intended to introduce ringers that have nothing to do with rod building.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 09:44PM

Tom, do you really think you can pull this off in an hour??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 14, 2010 10:12PM

Depends on how many show up. Another one of those things that we won't know until it happens. If 30 guys show up, we're okay. If 200 show up, well...

Posted by: Kern Davis (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 07:15PM

Darn wish i could attend this WHOLE show this year. being a new builder 2 rods: (shakespear microspin ul and a CRB 6'6 mudhole pink blank for the wife) one has learned alot by reading and following along in the forums, not to mention the library. We always say next year, truly am already planning for next year. EVERONE GOING HAVE ENOUGH FUN FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Most of all, be safe in your travels. Kern

Kern Davis, Lady Lake Fl.

Posted by: Jon Bial (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 02:14AM

Wish I was going to make it on time, I'd find an expert caster to enter with one of our sticks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster