I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rods to go?
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 12:13AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For my fishing, the preception is they are not
> strong enough. I don't remember seeing anything
> over about 20# class spinning and certainly never
> a trolling outfit.
>
> I could see a market for the west coast tuna
> fishery if someone offered 8' and 9" ones that
> could fish up to 60#.

Hi Russell,

The Lamiglas TP 8650 SPSG & TP 8680 SPSG will more than meet those requirements. They are 8' 6" and two piece. 40 to 60# and 60 to 100#.

Here's a link to information about the rods:

[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

The TP 8680 SPSG was designed to plug for 100# plus Ulua at Christmas Island.

The prices listed on the website are the 2009 prices.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:20AM

Is it also that a lot of fisherman still think a one piece rod is better in performance then multi piece.
The old stigma.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 11:49AM

Bill - It is a performance issue.

A two piece rod can come apart. I watched it happen about two months ago to one when a 7# red hit a two part St Croix sitting in a rod holder.

No thanks. When money is on the line, I don't need that type of help. For that matter, we almost lost a real nice meal that day!

Torin -

Most of the guys I know heading to El Salto, etc ship their rods prior to going. Rods are there waiting for your arrival. Pack reels in your carry on bag.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 11:52AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: February 10, 2010 12:31PM

Alex:

There were posts on this subject a while ago, and it was said that if put together correctly multi piece are just as good ??? Hay what do I know

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:16PM

A one piece rod will have better performance than a multi piece rod that is not even in debate, what is debatable is if it is enough for the fisherman to notice the difference.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 04:34PM

Torin,
Alex is correct, bass guys take or ship their rods to Mexico. I was lucky enough to fish their quite a bit while in Mx for business and never saw an American that didn't have their own gear. It wasn't uncommon to see nationals use the lodge gear, but not Americans. Certain times of the year you'd see 8 - 10 rod cases lined up with the baggage when you arrived in Mochis, Culliacan or Mazatlan.

A funny story about traveling in Mx with rods. I was flying from Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan on a small 12 passenger plane (the only direct flight between the 2 cities) and there was some question as to whether they could fit my 8' rod case. My Mexican business associate had taken to calling it my bazooka and was flirting with the gate attendant trying to persuade her to make it fit. After about 5 minutes of flirtatious banter, he yells across the terminal to me, "Robert, good news, your bazooka is on the plane".

Date: February 10, 2010 04:35PM

According to the posts that I speck of - no one could tell any difference. And if I remember right Tom was one of the posters on this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 04:50PM

I bought some 3 piece Allstar blanks just before they quit selling blanks. I built myself a medium spinning rod and a heavy casting rod. I also built a 2 piece, 8.5 spinning rod. I have traveled a lot in our camper in the last 2 years and those are the rods that go. Frankly the action on the 3 piece rods seems to suffer a little. That is okay. I did not go to Alaska to practice casting. The rods worked well for landing salmon and trout. The longer rod got a good workout on school bluefish last fall. No problems with the joints. one ounce lure, long cast, 15-20 inch bluefish. almost every cast. rod never came loose or gave a problem.

I do think the ferrules mess up a spinning or casting rod worse than they do a fly rod. All of my fly rods are 3 or 4 piece and I just do not notice it. But on a seven ft heavy spinning rod with 2 ferrules those larger diameter ferrules do take a lot of space. casting a light spinning lure with light line is more delicate and equipment demanding than casting a fly rod, in my experience. I have always fished with 2 piece spinning rods and the joint seems to do okay.

I think offering some well thought out travel rods ought to be a niche for a builder. Not much commercial competition. I made what might be refered to as a Peacock Bass rod, but it will probably never see a Peacock Bass. But it sure is a nice, portable stick for heavy fresh water and light salt water fishing.

The answer to the last question is that yes, people do take ;their one piece rods on the plane. I have been on several northewest flights after 911 and was suprised to see people toting one piece musky rods in tubea in the airport. I guess you have to have local knowledge or be lucky, but the airports that feed Canada are apparantly used to it. They take skis too, so maybe a long rod is not that hard to handle.

Even though I travel primarly by pickup truck, I still much prefer the multi piece rods for travel. There is still not enough room in a short pickup bed to carry a 7' rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 04:53PM by Bill Moschler.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 05:44PM

Whenever someone asks for suggestions for a 2 piece rod on the fishing boards that I read (bass and walleye forums) the overwhelming response always is "Why would you want a 2 piece rod?" accompanied by "they aren't as sensitive."

I have to admit to a bias against 2 piece casting and spinning rods myself, even though I have a 7'6" spinning rod on my "to build list" and have an older boat with a rod locker that is only 7 feet long. Given a choice between a 2 piece rod in the rod locker, and longer rod traveling outdoors, I've been leaning toward the one piece, but part of why I'm here is to learn so I'll maybe rethink the two piece option.

Dan

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 05:57PM

Dan, there is only one person that can change your mind and only one way it can happen.

So pick up the phone, place your order, and get wrapping:) Do tell us what you think. BTW, I just bought a 2-piece 8'6" rod. It is the longest rod and the only 2-piece I have ever owned.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.243.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 06:50PM

How much difference in "action" can there be between a one piece rod with a #30 guide affixed 27" from the butt and a three piece rod with a #30 guide affixed 27" from the butt on the female ferrule?
I have fished man and boy for over 60 years. Fished a lot. I live 300 feet from the ocean. I have never had a multi-piece rod separate accidentally during that time, nor have I seen anyone else suffer this fate. But then, I don't carry my rods assenbled and loose in the back of my truck. That might do the trick.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2010 08:49PM

Most people who have the opinion that multi-piece rods are somehow inferior to single piece models are basing their statements on heresay or they had a bad experience with very poor multi-piece rods. Do keep in mind that there were and still are plenty of poor multi-piece rods. The old metal ferrules or the later but still very poor tip-into-butt ferrule was not particularly good. Lingering experiences with these types continue to haunt the better multi-piece rods.

Saying that one is less sensitive than another or that the action is different (speed maybe, but not action) is silly. The human hand is not sensitive enough to tell the difference between the better multi-piece rods and their single piece counterparts.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:27PM

I have a few very nice 3 piece pack rods that I'm building. The are all from a well known manufacturer. One is a 6'6" ML and the other 4 are 7' M- all are fast action. I've listened to people discuss how multi-piece rods are inferior, less sensitive, and prone to coming apart. However, after building on some of these blanks and fishing them, I tend to think that most people that talk like this are not speaking from experience but from heresay. I, nor anyone I handed them to, could tell the difference between these blanks and a one piece blank. They "feel" just as light and sensitive as a one piece rod and they perform just as well.

We've all heard stories of guys that have rods break and come apart but it's hard to judge the situation without all of the evidence. How do we know that a particular rod was put together correctly prior to a fishermen tossing the top half of a rod 50ft into the lake on his 3rd cast? The only rod I've had trouble with was an old Ugly Stik I used to fish with when I was a kid. After about an hour of launching my lure as far as I could, my top half would go for a ride! Ah, memories... The multi-piece rods of years past (and low end rods) are not the same creature that we have available today.

my 2 cents,
jeremy

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 11:18PM

Small truck equals multi piece rods for me. Very convenient for traveling quickly and much easier to build and wrap in my small rod building cave. Wish there were more choices for multi piece spin rods.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 12:08AM

I'm with you, Steve. I live in a small house, and drive a small car. I really like 7'6" ML popping rods, and wish there were more multi-piece options.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 12:53PM

My memory failed me . I did once have a two-piece rod separate while fishing, and I had to dive down to retreive the tip section when the line snagged and broke. It was a six foot, two-piece, square solid glass spin rod with an aluminum ferrule. I believe it was an Eagle Claw rod. That happened some time in the mid 50's. Since then I have never seen a rod accidentally separate at the ferrule. Times and products change, whether or not we want them to or notice they have.

Date: February 11, 2010 01:26PM

The only thing I don't like muliti piece rods is when ya go and put it together say 6:00 in the early morning and try to get them apart about 4:00 in the after noon. They warm up expand and are a real ---- well you know.

Other wise I would rather have multi then keep hitting the tip on every thing around.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 04:58PM

This was an interesting post to read through....

Spinning guys do use 2 piece rods all the time. It seems like 1/4 of all quality commercial rods are 2 piece, and even more cheaper models are. Plus do a search on Mudhole for their 2 piece non fly rod blanks... There are more then you'd think. Getting into 3 piece and more is trickier, and the strength rods are more limited but they are available

Multi part, travel or pack rods are made to be convenient for just that travel or packing. They are intended for anglers treking through the forest to get to their spots, travelers going by plane or smaller car, (maybe buses, but they typically have more storage room for longer rod cases) and not for guys flying private jets into luxury resorts, trailer a boat around, or go out on charter/guide boats (usually as most guides have their own equipment). While having a flawless curve along the backbone might be nice, or being able to have that hair bit more sensitivity would be nice, the convenience of not having to twist around a rod in a car, or snake the 7 ft rod through the dense underbrush makes up completely for it.

The rod blanks for casting and spinning rods are the same. NO DIFFERENCE, yet commercial rods have 200- 2 piece spinning rods to every 1-2 piece casting rod. and 20 3+piece spinning rods to every 1 3+piece casting rod. For commercial rod production, consumer desire, and production costs to make them affordable dictate the availability of rods, and pack rods are few and far between. Thats why people come and either make their own or have a custom builder make theirs for them. I think blank manufacturers don't make them out of convenience for themselves. They also know that an experienced rod builder can make their own multi part rods by using spare parts or using prefab'd pieces for ferrules (can't find the link for the ones I've seen, and no im not talking about the metal ones).

And those who say multi piece are evil because they split off or lose sensation haven't fished w/ them, were fishing with older metal ferruled rods. or weren't paying attention to make sure the rod wasn't slipping apart. I taught camps for years with kids and the only time that the rods come apart are when the kids didn't put them together tightly enough, or they weren't paying attention and did something stupid like reeling the lure/bait/bobber up too close to the tip.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster