I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fiberglass blank?
Posted by: Bobby Silger (---.tohcorp.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 12:56PM

I am looking for a fiberglass crankbait blank similar to the Dobyns 765CB. This blanks diamiter is still small and it looks more like a graphite. Does anyone know what blank this is or one that is like it?

Thanks
Bobby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fiberglass blank?
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 03:32PM

Dobyns list the CB765 as a glass blank and that means full glass, but your description doesn't sound like it. I haven't seen a 765, so I can't really comment on the looks or the rod's/ blank's diameter. The Phenix crankbait rods are glass up top with a small diameter graphite back end. The X13 is probably a good match for the 765.

The challenge with longer full glass rods is they are typically pretty heavy. I've been looking for an 8' glass blank to try with crankbaits for almost 2 years and have yet to find one with an acceptable weight. I want a glass rod that weighs less than 50% more than a comparable graphite.

Posted by: Joshua Dinklage (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 05:45PM

Just extend a glass 7 footer or better yet extend a 7'6" one if you have a blank you like to 8 feet. The seeker BS706S glass is even better IMHO when it is extended, although it becomes tip heavy at 8 feet even with the extension overlap if you keep a "normal" handle length. In my experience, keeping short handles on rods over 7'6" is difficult without the finished rod feeling tip heavy. Micros and little tips help, but don't solve the problem. I don't like adding weight to butts, but many do and eliminate the "problem" this way. It feels like you have to increase the handle length an inch for every inch in length over 7'6" to maintain a relatively balanced feel upto 8 feet. I can build 8-9 foot spin/cast rods with 15 inch handles that feel balanced to me, but same thing for every inch over that. Light long blanks like some 10' salmon blanks or float-n-fly rods built on fly blanks can sometimes feel ok with 15" handles, but most spin/cast rods over 9 feet require handles over 15 inches to feel balanced. Sorry, got off topic.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2010 10:06PM

Robert,

Consider one of the glass blanks with a lower wrap of graphite - the upper half is all glass. That way you get the feel and slower response of the glass without all the weight and large diameter. Seeker makes at least 2 series of these blanks. They might be just what you're looking for.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:18AM

The Seeker CBS series is a nice choice. I use these for a lot of my freshwater builds. They have great actiona and are thin and light weight. The BS756 S-glass is nice but has a larger butt diameter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster