I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish coat
Posted by: kevin davis (---.sub-75-231-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 02:40PM

I was wondering what is the best finish coat to use.. Or at least which is the easiest one for a beginner to use to get the best results?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:09PM

None are difficult provided you follow the directions on measuring and mixing and then just apply the epoxy and leave it along to do its job. Many builders have trouble because they try to force the epoxy to do what it will gladly do on its own, if they'll just leave it alone.

Now that's epoxy. You will find that single part products - the urethanes and similar, are indeed easier to use although they won't give you the same look. You have PermaGloss, Lumaseal, various single part Gudebrod products, etc. If you want to start out with the easiest approach, one of these would be it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:19PM

Tom is right as always. But i would suggest since you are a new be to get any of the thinner finishes. I have read that many beginners apply the thicker finishes to heavy, so the thinner may be more forgiven. Then as you get better the one coat is good. You can also put the heavy stuff on just don't load it on.
But they are all good.
A lot start with Flex Coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 03:22PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: kevin davis (---.sub-75-231-9.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:24PM

on my first three rods that I did when I was in washington learning I used a two part finish and I cant for the life of me remember what the brand was.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:52PM

All epoxy finishes are two part, except the Permagloss and LumiSeal Try a serach of this board and see what a lot of builders use.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 04:23PM

Can you use 2 part over Limiseal once i'ts cured overnight?

Date: February 08, 2010 05:18PM

Better let it cure a week before putting an epoxy over it.

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:22PM

Ahh oki doki thanks Tom.

Posted by: kevin davis (---.sub-75-230-147.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 05:25PM

so what is the most common finish coat that is used...

Date: February 08, 2010 05:32PM

Flex Coat - epoxy. By a wide, wide margin.

Date: February 08, 2010 05:36PM

you guys are the best...thank you...is there anything else I should know about epoxys ect..I am placing an order wed to mudhole for all my chemicals and some more thread...

Date: February 08, 2010 05:41PM

just looked at the flex coat what is the difference between high build and lite build?

Date: February 08, 2010 06:14PM

The High Build is thicker, the Lite is thinner. You can make a thick or thin application with the High Build. You can only make a thin application with the Lite. You can, of course, apply more than one coat to get more depth with it.

Date: February 08, 2010 06:43PM

thank you I know now which I am going to purchase...

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 04:39AM

All epoxy finishes have a learning curve. Each builder has a favorite. Find one and practice.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 10:08AM

being a newbie myself, I practiced with high build and then bought low build to do my first rod. epoxy is not rocket science. mix slowly, and for 2-3 minutes and you will have no issues ASSUMING you mix it in the proper 50/50 ratio which is easy with the syringes. just apply it slowly and carefully it is easy enough. there are sooooo... many videos on the internet, just watch a few and go for it, but like stated earlier about newbies applying too heavy, that was the case when I practiced wrapping so that is why I switched to the light build. It will take longer to set up (not run/move/drip) so just let it spin until you can take your throw away brush and dip it in the epoxy and create a little peak in the epoxy and it doesn't settle back down. then spin it for a couple more hours to be safe.

And do not touch the finish for at least 24 hours. If you find you need to add a second coat just to it before 24 hours and I would recommend warming the 2 parts before mixing so the 2nd coat goes on very thin.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." — [Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins)]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster