I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BLANK TWISTING
Posted by: RANDY CAMPBELL (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:14PM

I built a rod and a couple of weeks later I noticed the guides near the end had started to gradually twist around the blank. Has anyone had this happen before and is there anything I can do except cut the guides off and re-attach.

Thanks,
Randy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BLANK TWISTING
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:19PM

Check the guides carefully and see if they're at all loose. If so, you need to remove and rewrap them. If they seem firmly anchored and you see no obvious flaws or problems with the finish or thread, you can begin to look elsewhere for the problem.

Posted by: RANDY CAMPBELL (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:23PM

They are not loose at all. They were all straight when first put on. It seems like the blank just twisted. I didn't know if this was something that happens occasionally or not.

Randy,

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:36PM

It would be very rare in a graphite rod blank. I'd contact the manufacturer and speak with them about it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 03:41PM

I remember a post a while back that had the same problem. Seemed at that time the blank was not cooked long enough .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2010 06:52PM

Randy,
I have seen this happen a couple of times, and in both cases, it was caused by my guide setup.

I found that I had had these guides out of location. I had the thread very tight on the rod. I aligned the guides and finished the rod.

A few days later, I checked the guide alignment and found that the two guides that had been out of location, were back in their original spot.

My guess is that I had readjusted the guides to align them with the rest of the guides, but I had not relieved the stress in the threads, by rocking the guides back and forth to be sure that all of the stress was relieved from the threads on the guide.

I suspect that if I had rechecked the guides immediately following the finish application, but before the finish was fully cured, that I would have found that the guides had gone back to their original position, -before the finish cured and locked the guides in their misaligned position.

As a result of this experience from some time ago, I make a point of double checking the alignment of the guides, and am sure that I work the guides back and forth a bit to be sure that the tension has been relieved from the surface of the guide foot.

I don't know if this was your particular issue or not.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 04:34AM

Was the blank straight. did you place the guides on the axes. Try this have someone hold the rod with a reel on it. Now go out 60 feet hold the rod at 45% then pull down on the line even move it side wise back and forth. like you were a fish and see if the rod twists. How are you using the rod. You might consider making it a acid rod

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster