I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trim bands with colored epoxy
Posted by: karen erickson (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 06:51PM

I want to add some kind of trim band to my already epoxied guides and wondered if I can color some epoxy and apply a narrow band of the epoxy next to the guide - is this a really bad idea? Is there another medium that I can "paint" next to the guide to look like a trim?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trim bands with colored epoxy
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 07:31PM

Karen the epoxy will run - If you can do it and keep definition in the lines we would all like to know how you do it!

If you really want to try something unusual use some of the Electric Decal print media - color a patern on the white vinyl or use the silver with the inkjet printer - cut band with pinking shears to shape the trim band.

You can really create some wild looking stuff with the stuff and a little out of the box thinking! Click on this photo link!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I am using tag markers on black rods for offshore standup use at night - the reflection from overhead lights defines the rod.

Date: January 28, 2010 09:08PM

Bill, I was planning to just put the epoxy on as if it were over guide wraps, with the turner going. Thought I'd put some tape on to outline where the band would go, on top of the old epoxy, and next to it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 09:37PM

A lot is going to depend upon what the blank color is. A matte black or dark gray blank will make it very hard to get epoxy with color to even show up. If the blank is another dark color you will still experience a definition problem as it is very hard to get epoxy colored enough to be opaque. If you are committed to doing this after the fact trimming, you could try wrapping narrow bands of metallic thread as close to your prior wraps as possible and the applying epoxy over these. It will still probably look like they were forgotten on the first wrap.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:00PM

I wonder if a Sharpie paint pen would work? They come in metallic colors and Larry Damore used them to sign rods, etc. on the post below titled "Grade my hand writting" that looked very nice. It would be an easy thing to try and should just wipe off while it's still wet if doesn't work out.

Dan

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 28, 2010 10:31PM

Karen; here is some food for thought;
I built a Pink rod for a little girl. Instead of wrapping a Butt Wrap on it I snipped a Pinkish Holographic string of Mylar from the handle bar grips on her bicycle. I spiral wrapped it on and made the tie offs with a matching Metallic thread. It was beautiful.
Now with that being said, could one do the same thing on the rod you are talking about ?
The Mylar I used was about 1/8 " wide. Maybe one could split it, use the narrow strip and super glue it down. It will stretch quite a bit. I put a coat of CP on it then finish. Might be worth a try on a scrap piece and see if you like it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 08:29AM

Karen,
You can add tint to the epoxy. Get the tint from Sherwin-Williams. It's the stuff they use to mix their colors. They charged me for the can $2.75, but the tint was free! You only need a tiny bit. Mix some epoxy. Add a few drops of the tint , using a toothpick. Mix it in. Use thin strips of masking tape to create the "trim" line on your guides wraps. Apply the colored epoxy. Rotate the rod 180 degrees as soon as epoxy starts to sag. Repeat as needed. When epoxy is maybe 1/2-3/4 of the way to being set (30-45 minutes, if you're using 1 hour epoxy), remove the tape. It should maintain its lines and smooth out just a bit, all by itself. The tape must fit perfectly together where it meets, or the epoxy will run under the tape a bit. It can be cleaned up with a piece of paper towel dipped in alcohol, being careful not to get alcohol everywhere. It's hard to get a finish that's completely opaque, but you can still get the effect you're looking for (I think). Experiment a bit. I'm sure you'll find something that works.
Send me an e-mail, if you have more ???
Have fun!
George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 08:37AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 08:53AM

George is right. You can tint epoxy and make it opaque. I do it all the time for winding checks, no reason why you couldn't tape off an area and apply the tinted epoxy to make a trim ring.

You could just wrap another trim section over the finished wrap and then finish again over that as well.

Terry

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:12AM

couldn't you just use a tiny brush and some testers paint while it's in the rod wrapper to make a nice band and then epoxy over.........

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2010 09:30AM

Jay - second from the top > [www.rodbuilding.org]

Now that the Holo Shine is no mo I am glad I kept all the scraps!

I know for a fact that there are 4,000 sheets in the hands of rodbuilders - If you are using the stuff be sure to throw all the scraps in an envelope - sure is an easy way to light up the room!

Date: January 29, 2010 10:34AM

Thanks for all the ideas, I am sure that one of them will give me the effect I'm seeking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster