I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sevier Tiger Eye blanks? Suggestions?
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:17PM

College kid next door needs a fly rod, good kid so I am going to build a rod for him. I am buying so the components need to be reasonably priced, its a gift and I want to make sure its a nice rod for him. I've always heard good things about the Tiger Eye blanks, for 5/6 wieght trout rod - which blank should i consider? Good looking seat, not to pricey? If not the Tiger Eye blank whats a good next choice? Any suppliers offer a traditional burgundy colored blank?
Thanks,

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sevier Tiger Eye blanks? Suggestions?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:31PM

Tim,
My "every day" (I wish I could use it every day...) fly rod is a Sevier 8' 5/6 wt. 4 pc. Great fishing rod, and I like the way it looks: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Schneider's has the Tiger Eyes. They're also advertising a 9' Pac Bay 5 wt. 3pc in Plum for a great price. Additionally, Jann's house blanks may be the color you seek. But, for the money, I really like the Sevier blanks.
George

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 01:29PM

Also can't go wrong with the Batson line of fly rod blanks. Lots of sizes, weights and price points. A number of sponsors on the left carry them.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:05AM

Are the Tiger Eye blanks made in the USA?

Tim

Date: January 24, 2010 10:34AM

No; they're imported. Made in USA blanks will probably run you closer to $100 or more.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 09:16PM

george's linked photo of a tiger eye fly rod doesn't do the tiger eye blank's color justice (no offense meant george). they are a beautiful medium golden brown with orange overtures which really shines in full sunlight.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: January 25, 2010 01:47PM

None taken, Eric. Someday I'll get a phone with a better camera...
Here's a different link: [www.rodbuilding.org]
This photo gives you a better idea of what the Tiger Eye looks like in the sun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster