I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Ring quality
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 04:03AM

I'm curious what type cork rings are used by rod mfgrs like St Croix and Shimano that have such a clean cream colored, almost flawless look. Are they using cork that I have to pay $2.00 or more per ring to get that look, or are they using run of the mill cork with a really good filler?

Generally I don't mind the look of a few pits that most cork has, I even think in some cases it adds character; but now along with my customs I'm building rods for a tackle shop under his label, and they go in a rack right next to Shimano rods, and my cork is not nearly as nice IMO.

Is there a cork that I can buy that will keep my costs in line and still compete with these off the shelf grips?

I do prefer to glue up and turn my own grips over buying premade.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Ring quality
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2010 08:10AM

They're filled. You can easily get the same, or better cork, from most any of the sponsors to the left. Do a search here to find good methods and materials for filling cork.

If you want a top quality ring that you don't have to fill, you can get those too, but will likely have to pay $2 per ring and upwards.

Also keep in mind that other than the RodMaker Cork Grade Scale (CG-1, 2 and 3) there is no other standardized cork grade scale. "Flor" can be anything from flawless to full of holes and pits, and still be correctly graded.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:16AM

Walt -

I have done the math forward, backward, sideways and standing on my head. Plain and simple, you will NEVER turn a grip and be competitive with production rods - it can't be done. IMO, you should either charge the $50 premium and turn them OR buy factory grips - St Croix kits are available at a good price AND American Tackle (through various sponsors) has a nice selection of sizes to choose from.

Jim -

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 12:19PM

What 'd like to see is how the "big boys" fill their cork/handles. I've cut and shaped a few factory grips and their fillers go completely into the CENTER of the rings, as if, the filler is a liquid and the grips are soaked in it, hung to dry and then worked smooth.

DR

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 01:30PM

I have just given up and buy the cheapest cork I can get then fill it. I bought cork filler from Mudhole and it came is as Elmer’s wood filler Golden Oak. After I get the handle rough sanded I fill in the big pits and coat the entire handle with a thin coat of filler, and then after it is cured I do my finish sanding. I wouldn’t call it an ideal solution but it works for me.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:36PM

Filler cannot go into the center of the ring as cork is "closed cell" and does not absorb liquids. Otherwise it would not float for long and it has been used for net floats last years floating in the ocean. If they are using filler that stays adhered to the cork well, is surely has better adhesion properties that wood filler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:54PM

Phil,
It would be an interesting experiment to do a handle fill with filler and then vacuum it, to see if you could get better penetration of the filler - or if there were any other advantage.

Many manufacturing techniques use the theory of using vacuum to enhance their particular process.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:40AM

Those factory grips look great under the shrink wrap but it doesn't take that long for them to look pretty crummy. I gave up on regular cork years ago and when I use cork, it's always burl cork. Buy 100 pieces and you get 100uniform pieces withn NO flaws in them. If the negligible weight increase is a concern, over bore them and use flexcoat arbors inside of them. Works great

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 01:10AM

Mike,
I like the idea of overboring the burled cork and using the foam arbors under the cork.
Great idea, and I would guess that the weight would be fairly close to that of good cork alone.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 04:20AM

Roger,

If you bore them big enough, they weigh a lot less than regular cork. Look at the wood grips that Stan Grace uses arbors on [www.rodbuilding.org] Foam cores are even better and cheaper! Check out the cores from Mike at Riley Rods [www.rileyrods.com] . I plan on grapping some at the show

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:16AM

Mike,
I like that idea, also. My initial thought was that the burl is just too heavy (over 2.5 times heavier than cork). But you've given me something to consider.
George

Posted by: Jim Gamble (207.59.169.---)
Date: January 23, 2010 11:54AM

Another slant that I have taken on some builds ... use the rough stuff and dress it up. With a bit of stain and some polyurethane for protection, the imperfections can look pretty spectacular. I learned this trick at ICRBE - one of many educational experiences gained there.

There is more than one way to view the world ... LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2010 11:56AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 03:57PM

"Filler cannot go into the center of the ring as cork is "closed cell" and does not absorb liquids"

Phil, I was speaking of HOLES/PITS in the cork that go completely through the ring to the center, I didn't mention any thing being "absorbed".

Some factory grips indeed DO have cork filer that goes well into the core of the rings IF the pits and holes go that far. I'd almost bet that the factory filler used in factory grips is either dipped, pressure sprayed or pressed into the grip.

I'm surprised no one knows how this is done.

DR

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 09:31PM

I wonder if the foam core dampen vibration compared to cork?

And how does a 5.5# foam core compare to cork in density?

Mo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:31PM

The foam core material is more rigid than cork. It's not spongy - it's very hard.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:33PM

Thanks Tom.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster