I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

discount blanks
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 02:18AM

I had a guy who was selling me st. croix and batson blanks for 20% off msrp shipped to my door, but his supplier cant get st. croix anymore. Does anyone know of anyone giving similar deals. By the way i dont have a tax id number for wholesale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: discount blanks
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 07:40AM

the answer to why he can't get st. croix any more is probably in your original post.

to answer your real question - no i don't. my advice is if you want things at that price consistently, get a tax id number or make friends with someone who already has the one and the accounts to go with it. good luck. if you find batson at 20% msrp - be sure to let us know ! :)

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 09:42AM

Get in touch with the gang at Utmost one of the sponsors on the left. They have the whole line of Batson products. Great to deal with, awesome service.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 10:56AM

JASON...CHECK OUT THE ROD BLANK PRICES AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL...DO THE MATH AND YOU WILL SEE WE ARE VERY COMPETITIVE...WAITING FOR YOUR ORDER
[www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 11:01AM by Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 22, 2010 03:25PM

justin keithley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> my
> advice is if you want things at that price
> consistently, get a tax id number or make friends
> with someone who already has the one and the
> accounts to go with it. good luck.

I am surprised you have not been jumped on here for saying this. For starters, in all states there is something called a Use Tax. If you have a "tax id number" and you purchase goods at wholesale, and then pull those goods out of inventory for personal use, you are required to pay a Use Tax. It doesn't matter if you are a legitimate business or if you are just pretending to have a business so you can get a few bucks off of your components. In short - its tax fraud. Here is the wording from a random state's use tax document - "Another situation where use tax applies is when a business withdraws goods from inventory for its own use. Use tax, in this case, is based on the cost of the item when it was purchased.". Pick any state in the union and google Use Tax. In MN it is taxed at the same rate as sales tax, and I pay it on all my personal and gift rods. Small businesses get audited very often and you'd better have your ducks in a row or your blank cost will go up considerably.

I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport, but it just doesn't seem ethical to to get a "tax id number" just to buy a few personal parts. You will probably find that most sponsors on the left will ask to see proof of your state tax license, DBA paperwork, and Federal EIN number. If they don't ask for all that I think they should.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 03:28PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 07:24PM

I've ordered blanks from Midwest Rod and Reel and have nothing but praise for their customer service, promptness, and value. Not that I've ordered from a lot of suppliers, but why change a good thing.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 12:07AM

I guess i thought it would have been inferred that you don't just "get" a tax Id number and viola - wholesale goods. Jason didn't say who he was making rods for. If he's making them for someone else or trying to get started as a builder, why shouldn't he be able to get wholesale parts for himself? Seems like to be successful at making money as a builder, you need the reputation - you don't get the reputation without R&D and experience, and that can't always be applied to a contracted build.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: January 23, 2010 02:39AM

If anybody is concerned, Jason states, "By the way i dont have a tax id number for wholesale". I read DON'T as in DOESN'T have a tax ID #.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 09:45AM

justin keithley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess i thought it would have been inferred that
> you don't just "get" a tax Id number and viola -
> wholesale goods. Jason didn't say who he was
> making rods for. If he's making them for someone
> else or trying to get started as a builder, why
> shouldn't he be able to get wholesale parts for
> himself? Seems like to be successful at making
> money as a builder, you need the reputation - you
> don't get the reputation without R&D and
> experience, and that can't always be applied to a
> contracted build.

Justin, sorry. I didn't mean to flame you. But what I read was that he should "get a tax id number", which is what you wrote. Having just gone through taxes and inventory... well, starting a rod business to make money and save some money on your own rods is about as close to myth as you can get. By the time you invest in the lath, wrappers, dryers, software, 2-part foam, carbon & glass, cork, thread, epoxy adhesives & finish, and...the biggy - INVENTORY! It just hits me the wrong way when someone talks about starting a biz to save money. No offense intended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster