I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New lightweight rods
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 03:09PM

Shimano has some new bass rods out... Cumulus... haven't seen a price yet.

[fish.shimano.com]

6'5" medium power, fast action - 1/4 - 1/2 oz lure - 2.75oz finished
7'1" MH power, Xfast - 1/4 - 3/4 oz lure - 3.5oz finished

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New lightweight rods
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 03:32PM

That's pretty light for factory sticks. They look like they'll price out higher than the Cumaras with the Ti Fuji SICs. I'll guess $279 for list price on the 6'5" model. It really depends on where they are made. They also seem to be targeted to the JDM with all the shorter lengths, only a single rod that is 7' or longer.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 03:35PM

$350 for casting and $400 for spinning.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:15PM

Good custom builders should have no trouble meeting or beating those weights for rods of similar construction. The nice thing about the ever increasing price of commercially produced rods, is that gets the fishing public more used to seeing those higher price tags. After awhile, the same money for a truly custom rod doesn't seem so bad.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:52PM

Tom, you are correct. with the retail on some of these commercially produced rods hitting the $400 range, plus, it really opens the door for custom builders to market their rods. It is a lot easier to compete with a $400 rod than to try to compete with a $125.00 rod.
However, we do still have to produce an excellent product, to show our customers that we have a better product. With that in mind, if we work with our suppliers, provide good quality, we can compete with the big name mfrs.
there are some nitches they cannot react quick enough to fill. Also some specialized rods we are building, with some of the designs, and componants, they wioll not be able to duplicate til a future time. And at a higher price still.
We will see some customers shaking their heads at these high prices. We are seeing this now. When we can build for $100 or more less in some cases, all the better for us.
And our customers are the real winners. That is one of the best things we can produce! Quality at a fair price.

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: January 07, 2010 07:19PM

Kyle - you are right - but it's also hard to compete with "Over the Counter Lifetime Warranty "

Now I'm not crying about it, so don't think I am.

Granted the customer is paying the price for that, but there's more to it than most folks consider. There's little to no wait time, convenience of buying anywhere and exchanging anywhere, etc.

To a touring bass fisherman, sometimes that one favorable trait is enough to stay in production rods. Think about it... if I'm 500+ miles from home, and my best technique rod for that Tournament breaks in practice or day one of the Tx... I just find a store nearby carrying them and swap the broken for a new. Little to no equipment downtime and equipment can make or break getting a check.

Just a thought that I'm not sure many people focus on, but I have heard several times from my client base.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 07:30PM

There are many different reasons to buy or build a custom rod, just as there are many different reasons to buy or build a custom car or house.

I believe what makes a rod custom is your interaction with the client to uncover his or her specific desires. It is a self-indulgence that I hope many people get the opportunity to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your valuable information. I will never become a custom rod builder for a living, but I truly appreciate the craft.

Regards,
Rick

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 12:47AM

Yes, the one single thing as consumer that I would value in the Shimano rods is their no questions over the counter replacement. The concept is just very attractive for guys who put the money out and know they'll always be covered. That's one area where as a custom rod maker, it's hard to compete.

mo

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 08:25AM

The Shimano warranty policy is hard to compete with, but in this case how many stores will have rows of $400 rods on the shelf to give out for warranty?

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 09:11AM

I happen to know someone in management at a major US rod company. He was working with a buyer from one of the large chain sporting goods stores, and the buyer told him they didn't want to stock the super high end rods, because once rods got over $300 they just did not sell.

Not a ton of guys will pay that much for a rod no matter how nice it is. Some yes - but no matter how you slice it, it's a small market.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 09:31AM

If in fact, the weights given are accurate, they’re impressive. Most of my rods are in that weight range and in looking at their pictures, I think some “reverse engineering” is called for. Unless the blank itself is extremely light, the grips must be a low density EVA. The guides and wraps certainly aren’t lightweight.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 09:32AM

Those same statements about pricing were made many years ago ,when Gary Loomis first started selling high end valued rods at G*Loomis.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 10:05AM

Fishing is far from the only sport suffering from advertising inflation. Avid golfers eagerly pay $300+ for a revolutionary new and improved driver and often own several drivers. The amount of money they spend on equipment has little effect upon their game.
Today nearly every major reel brand offers a spinning reel nearing $1,000 in price, and their rod pricing/marketing isn't far behind. It's hard to tell how much these corporations are relying upon the spectacular profits produced by these high-end products to stay in business. I wonder if they aren't comitting the same error as airlines that relied upon first-class ticket profits to remain solvent.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 10:50PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fishing is far from the only sport suffering from
> advertising inflation. Avid golfers eagerly pay
> $300+ for a revolutionary new and improved driver
> and often own several drivers. The amount of money
> they spend on equipment has little effect upon
> their game.
> Today nearly every major reel brand offers a
> spinning reel nearing $1,000 in price, and their
> rod pricing/marketing isn't far behind. It's hard
> to tell how much these corporations are relying
> upon the spectacular profits produced by these
> high-end products to stay in business. I wonder if
> they aren't comitting the same error as airlines
> that relied upon first-class ticket profits to
> remain solvent.
I doubt any of the big boys make a high percentage of their profits on the very expensive stuff whether they are big manufacturers or retailers. The margins may be very good, but the volume just isn't there. Check out the GLX or Steez rods at Cabelas or BPS and note the turn over. It's not much. I've seen the same 4 Steez rods at the Cabelas up the street for at least 6 months and probably much longer. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'll guaranty BPS makes a bunch more money selling Extreme rods and reels than they do selling all their high end stuff.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2010 11:26AM

We can all name several fishing tackle companies that have thrived for quite a while by selling (and sometimes manufacturing) low volume, high mark-up products. Posts on this site devote discussion to such high-end products far out of proportion to their sales volume. Perhaps excessive concentration upon extra-high mark up products is a mistake for corporate tackle marketers/makers. It certainly was a mistake for domestic automakers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster