I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Kirkman ICRBE Casting Contest
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 04:34PM

Braid Rules

There has been a rule change for the braid rod in the distance contest noted in the current issue of Rodmaker Magazine.

I have built a rod - bought 1,100 yards of the specific line previously stated would be used on this board - purchased a reel - loaded the reel and balanced and supertuned the reel with the previously required line.

It is ready to go - and a lot of work has been put into this project.

The line used is Berkley Fireline 50 # braid / 12 @ mono equivalent -

I am requesting to be able to use this line since it is larger and heavier than the new 20/6 listed in Rodmaker.

I should be at a tremendous disadvantage to those using the smaller diameter line listed in Rodmaker.

Please let me know -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Kirkman ICRBE Casting Contest
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2010 04:39PM

You told me that line was not available, that's why we changed.

Sure, use the heavier line.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: January 06, 2010 05:41PM

Mr. Bill, Whatever your rod will do with the heavier line, it will do even better with the lighter line. You are at no disadvantage. The line size diameter difference between those two is so slight as to be negligible but as I stated at the outset, if it is good with the heavier braid, it will be even better with the lighter braid.

Date: January 06, 2010 08:40PM

Barry, I do not have the option of changing the line on the Shakespere 6500 Rocket Tournament Bait Caster, with adjustable magnetic side plate, without going to additional expense. The reel has been preloaded and spool balanced with the 50 pound braid - I had to buy an 1,100 yard spool of the stuff to be able to get it. The reel I have was obtained by a clandestine courier, who will be at the Show to validate all claims, at a Pawn Shop in North Dallas. It was forwarded to a world class surf caster/reel tuner in Virgina for final calibration and set up with the earlier specified line. The Swamp Boyz invite all to drop by and take a look at this very special tournament casting reel. It is like the Energizer Bunny - flip it and it goes on and on and on and on!

I purchased this reel via the Internet - it has been proved to be quite valuable - if there are any tournament distance surf casters present at the show the reel will be offerred for sale in the Swampland Booth.

Thanks Tom !

Date: January 06, 2010 08:51PM

One attendee has requested that we have a class for spincasting reels and said that even if we decide not to, he will be happy to go up against any spinning or casting reel.

I took it as a joke, but many spincasting reels cast very nicely at this casting weight and general distance.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 09:48PM

"It was forwarded to a world class
> surf caster/reel tuner in Virgina for final
> calibration and set up with the earlier specified
> line."

IF you are talking about Wayne Fowkes then no one else need show up. Heck I'd say you could win with 100lb mono on the reel if Wayne had anything to do with it!! Can't wait to see the set up at the expo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 09:50PM by Craig Freeman.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:31PM

Ok
Now you have done it.
I am going to bring my 40 year Shimano Bantam 100 reel
That has never been tuned and barely been cleaned, put it on a 5’8” rod.
That way if I lose, at least I can blame it on the reel.

PS: I will be oiling it though

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:44PM

Bill, I didn't even know that a reel could be tuned or balanced much less to a specific line weight and size. You guys make me feel like I am five again with my snoopy spin cast reel and rubber casting plug. Could you give me the contact info for the reel tuner in VA you mentioned? I have my first Bass tournament in April and want to do everything I can to make sure that I master everything that I can do anything about. I may not be able to do anything about the weather, the water temp or the way the fish feel, but if I lose because of something that I had control over like an equipment failure, or lack of casting ability I will swim to the bottom of the lake and take up residence there. I am even building rods specifically for this tourney, although I am sure I will use them after. Thanks Bill.
James

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 08:40AM

Wonderful - we now have a reel competition

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 09:09AM

Hasn’t it always been a reel competition, at least in the baitcasting division? I suspect that 80% of the rods entered will be nearly identical functionally, with just a few tweaks here and there. The thing that may make it interesting is using such a weird combination, I can’t imagine fishing with a 6 ½ foot rod, with 6lb test, and casting 3/8 oz with it, but those are the rules and I will build something to suit.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 01:15PM

bill i have an entry and i am getting the guys from Mythbusters to "tune "it
check this out

[www.asseenontv.com]

Date: January 07, 2010 01:33PM

What the devil!

Tomorrow is Friday to wet and cold to go outside!

Let the Funnies Begin!

Friday at the ICRBE Gonna be a fun day - rules are made to be "worked"!

Tom being a resident of North Caroline is well schooled in restrictor plate racing! The winner always has other gimmicks in addition to a "cheating heart"!

There are no limitation to grams of gun powder or pneumatic pressure limitation to the high pressure cylinder for propellant!

I will now reveal that I plan on standing in my marsh airboat that can generate 135 MPH wind at time of cast!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 01:42PM

Ken,

That was goooood!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chuck Stone (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 05:26PM

I have been out of pocket the past couple of months. What Rodmaker has the casting contest rules. If I have to build a rod I had better get busy.

Thanks,

Chuck
Stone's Custom Rods

Date: January 07, 2010 06:06PM

Volume 12 #6. The latest one.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 11:01AM

Mike -

You're, of course, correct. For bait casting probably the most important aspect will be the reel (magnetic side plates, "rocket fuel" lubrication and tuning) and how it is mated to the rod. Spinning will be interesting also - large diameter spools, small diameter spools, angled spools. I'm liking JP's launcher. It may not be a bass boat at 135mph but humorous none the less. Looking forward to all the "innovations" that are sure to be unveiled (and the helicopter arrival of contestant casters)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster