I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fruit and vegetable rods
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.140.184.173.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 08:42AM

They are coming!

This is probably only the first of the new "Fruit and Vegetable" rods to hit the market in 2010.

From a bass website:

DeFoe to use Citrus Sticks 1/5/2010

Tennessee FLW Tour angler Ott DeFoe announced that he's signed a 2010 agreement to fish Citrus Stick rods, which are produced by BCS Manufacturing of Lebanon, Tenn.

The rods are a lime-green color from just above the reel seat to the tip and are designed to deliver high-end performance at a value price. Five models are currently available, with more on the way.

“With the rods I have used so far, they are really sensitive and extremely lightweight," said DeFoe, who was previously aligned with Fenwick. "The handles with the foam grips are very comfortable and not slippery like cork handles can be.”

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit and vegetable rods
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 08:46AM

I prefer those new Skeet Reese yellow \'Naner rods. Maybe they will put a Chiquita sticker on them at some point.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:03AM

"fruit rods" need you say more

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:29AM

A lot of apples and oranges leave the treey headed somewhere! Production companies selling rods are truly "sensitive" to the unprotected brain/eye and open wallet of most fishermen - Orange, Yellow, Golden Sparkle, White, Lime, Blue etc - Do you remember what P. T. B. had to say? Only thing I would change at present is minute to second! Bobby, you put the Golden Micro Rod on Dewey's scale yesterday and commented it felt light - amazing huh - what can a poor fisherman do that does not have a scale in his pocket when he purchases a rod?

Color will be the next marketing issue for production rods - badge of identification - performance maintains position on a lower rung of their marketing ladder.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:49AM

Bobby Feazel consider this !
Put one on the market that is wood grain color, Hickory or maybe Box Elder Burl. Call it a Timber Stik !! Should sell better than "Nanner Puddin" !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:23AM

When the big boys run out of development ideas, or ideas to steal from custom builders. All that is left is the trickery of the eyes, by attracting potential customers to the bright colors.

Just as the magician uses bright colored scarf’s to keep the audiences attention distracted from the fact of what is really going on underneath.
All he is doing; is deceiving them and getting paid for it.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:29AM

We all can use a good New Years laugh! But someone is getting big $$ here for these ideas! The old fiberglass painted rods are maybe not always so bad! Dig them out again...

Naners, oranges, carrots, apples, maybe we need to rub our rods down with Fruit Fresh, or some fruip preservative in the future.... We never know! They may cast farther!

Jay, I like the Timber Stick idea. When I was a kid, I used a willow stick to catch chubs! Never knew it was cuttung edge technology! The short ones Mom used as a switch!

Maybe we should come up with a "spud" rod. Sure sounds catchy...

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:18AM

Corn silk, now that's an idea, you can't even put that stuff through a garbage disposal.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:24AM

Well the good thing about em is if the action is too stiff, you can boil em and they'll soften up a little!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:26AM

This is nothing new. And it's not limited to fishing rod sales. Most things are sold this way and always have been - "sell the sizzle, not the steak." Obviously it can be taken to extremes, but painting rods in bright colors and giving them fancy names isn't such an extreme. It's been done many times before and will continue for decades to come.

In the last few years you have almost all the reel manufacturers taking reels, painting them bright colors, tossing in a dozen 10 cent ball bearings and then charging guys $300 to $500 for a reel that has the same guts as their $50 models. But, the guys who buy them are proud to own them and happy to use them.

I've always wished that more custom builders would take a lesson from how the big companies market their products - not from the standpoint of misleading anyone but rather from the ability to create some "sizzle" in order to excite potential customers.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:51AM

Color can be very important in marketing, in the IP field it is called “trade dress” and can be protected indefinitely unlike patents which expire. I used to design fuel pumps for race cars and the owner of the company strongly defended our color scheme of a black motor and red body. When the competing pumps came to the market they had blue or purple bodies, he would have been very quick to quash anyone selling red pumps to the same market.

Guess I am not the only one to figure out the reel company scams, I always look for the lowest cost reel within a family, and then I can upgrade it if I want to. Ball bearings to fit handle knobs cost about 50 cents apiece so for $2 you can have an upgrade that would probably come on a reel costing at least $50-100 more.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 12:47PM

Custom builders DID come up with "SIZZLE" that worked!

Build a better rod -

Not only does the sizzle "excite potential customers" -

It makes them get off the fence, out their wallet and buy their first custom rod on the spot!

At my price point!

MICRO

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 03:07PM

I think Bill summed that up. Hard to generate a comparable sizzle when you don't have the marketing budget to pay to have your stuff in magazines, etc. Sure you can do press releases, but that doesn't always cut it and you have to be in the pipeline to have them seriously considered for inclusion anyway.

Even the Citrus Sticks are dropping some serious cash on a bit of marketing blitz in various locations and they didn't get a small headline on a fishing website until they signed a pro...

There's been a lot of sizzle around my way on micros for a good while now... about 2 years worth - wondeI know where that came from :) There was also a big enough sizzle nationally from custom buidlers that we're now looking at 3 OEMs who hopped on the micro wagon.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:09PM

I'm gonna sell everyone of my GLX's' RX8's and get some... Holy cow man! With a name like that, they gotta be good! Just when you think the marketing genius' hit their all-time low....

Posted by: Jeff Bunch (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 04:44PM

Paul Rotkis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm gonna sell everyone of my GLX's' RX8's and get
> some... Holy cow man! With a name like that, they
> gotta be good! Just when you think the marketing
> genius' hit their all-time low....

Thanks for the kind thoughts...I am the creator of the Citrus Stick and former custom rod builder turned mass production builder. Yes, all of the things that I put into the Citrus Stick; I picked up from building over the years.

The yellow and green rod is for marketing stand points. I wanted our rod to stand out and that is what it does. The name came from the color. Citrus Shad.

Will this rod out perform a custom rod. Maybe, maybe not but it is hard to mass produce a custom rod but this as close as I can get. Will this rod out perform any other factory rod...I would put this rod up against any rod mass produced today and fair pretty well.

As a former custom rod builder I understand being proud of your work but don't be so quick to judge the rod. Alot of thought and hard work went into developing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster