I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte Clear Finish
Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:29AM

I'm trying to duplicate a rod I built recently and I can't remember the blank. I know the length and the lure weight but I'm not sure what "matte clear finish" is? How would you describe it-Thanks-David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, N.C.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte Clear Finish
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:58AM

Batsons RX7 Rainshadow blanks are described as a matte clear finish.

Lance

Date: January 05, 2010 10:04AM

I can find the matte clear blank, I just can't remember what matte clear looks like. Thanks-David

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:23AM

Min Wax has several clears in spray cans that are Gloss, I think Semi-gloss and a Mat. I get mine at Home Depot. maybe pick up a can or two and try them on some scrap to see what they look like.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 05, 2010 10:33AM

Does "matte clear" look like a matte finish with a glossy coat-I know this is arcane and probably simple but I just want to be sure there is a gloss finish to the rod. I know what a plain matte finish looks like-just want to make sure that "clear" means gloss over the clear. Thanks!

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:41AM

To be more specific-how does it look as compared to a clear gloss finish as on Forecast blanks. Hope that helps>

Date: January 05, 2010 10:56AM

I guess you could say it is like a clear finish sanded with a very fine Scotch pad or 1000 sand paper. A clear with out the shine or gloss. Kin of dull looking.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:56AM

Thanks Bill-I've got the idea and know that's the same finish on the first blank-Thanks! )Giving that description is almost as hard as describing how to tie a knot without using pictures).

Date: January 06, 2010 10:51AM

Your very welcome

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2010 05:50PM

Bill,
Do you clear cote every rod that you refinish. I have a black 14 ft heaver that my customer wants dark green. The paint is not a problem but I just can't decide whether or not to clear cote or not. I would hope that clear would help protect the finish but I am worried about the cracking that will probably happen when flexed. This rod is used more in long distance casting rather than for fishing. Thanks

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster