I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook keepers
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 05:35PM

I stopped wrapping hook keepers into my builds years ago. Too may problems with them, from fishermen grabbing the rod right where the hook was being kept (ouch) to line getting wrapped around them (almost always with inexperienced fishermen). On my personal rods, I would just reel the lure to the tip (the place I would NEVER grab a rod).
I'm building a saltwater fly rod right now (for fishing from a boat), and it got me wondering: do those of you who throw big flies from flats boats prefer a hook keeper?
I'm doing a feather inlay with a # 20 hook in place of a butt wrap, but I'm unsure about the hook keeper.
Opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook keepers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2010 05:37PM

I bring the leader around the butt of the rod and stick the fly hook in the frame of the stripping guide.

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 06:35PM

Gary,
I wrap a Carolina style or a drop shot hook keeper, on the bottom of the back foot of the stripping guide. It stays out of the way and you won't grab it by accident when you hook a big red. Rusty Byrley

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 09:20PM

I no longer put hook keepers on any of my fly rod builds. Most fly fishermen regardless of the weight do as Tom does, some even putting it further up the rod than the stripper.. There is an added advantage to this, in that it keeps a long leader from being drawn back into the guides.

An exception would be on Bamboo rods where in my customer wants the more traditional look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2010 10:57PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.235.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 10:03PM

I always put a hook keeper on my bamboo rods, to me a rod with no hook keeper looks like a pair of dress pants with no belt. I figure my customers can either use them or not but it doesn't hurt anything to be there. Yes, it takes a few minutes to wind one and the nickel silver strap and ring keepers aren't free either, but it looks right and it seems a better choice than sticking the fly in the cork as I've seen on many old rods.
john

Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 10:10PM

I actually had the crazy notion of tossing one of these on my next personal rod. But they don't (apparently) make them in the x-large size (yet). It looks like something you'd expect to see on an infomercial, but no way would you ever see it on a manufactured rod. It kind of says 'redneck custom.' It looks like it could be very practical. Outside the box for sure.

[www.getthecatch.com]

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 10:39AM

You may want to take a look at the REC Recoil teardrop style keepers. They are pretty low profile and shed tangles well.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 01:00PM

I never use hook keepers on fly rods. I prefer wrapping the leader around the bottom of the reel and attaching the hook to guide frame further up from the stripper. This not only keeps the entire leader out of the guides but also stretches the leader keeping it straight. I do this with bamboo rods too. Let the "Tradition Police" try to stop me!

While I do use hook keepers on non-fly rods I make sure to place them further forward from the grip than is usually done. a few inches. This provides a safe area for me to hold the blank without coming into contact with a hook. Rods with reels attached balance forward of the grip so this is the most comfortable place to hold the rod. It doesn't make sense to me to put a hook keeper right where you want to hold the rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 09:17PM

Brian,

Mudhole sell those. I have a couple all though I haven't used them yet

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster