I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on blanks
Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:23PM

I would like to start hand writing rod information on the rods I build. Things like the customer name, rod weight, line weight, etc. Does anyone have any information as to what type of material I need to get started? What type of ink to use. What is the best type of pen. Is there a particular letterstyle I should use?

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on blanks
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:51PM

I like the pen found here.
[]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:59PM

Try here - [www.flexcoat.com]

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:59PM

Try here - [www.flexcoat.com]

Posted by: Alfonso Uy (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 05:00PM

I use Hunt caligraphy pen nibs (#512 for my thick letters, #107 for medium, & 104 for fine) and Testors Enamel Paint as ink (#1146 Silver & #1144 Metallic Gold). I clean my nibs with acetone and I found out that it melts the Speedball handles so I made my own handles using scrap blanks.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 07:32PM

I use quill nibs in 3 sizes, extra fine, fine and medium. I use, India ink, Testors model paint and Acrylic paints.. You may have to thin the Acrlics. No matter what medium you use, You will have to practice and practice. Also vary I lightly scuff just the area I write on. Let it dry 24 hours, when done cover the writing with one coat of CP, cover in just one direction. (Do not apply back & forth)

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 08:21PM

I use the quill nibs like Bob. Occasionally I use testors but most of the time I use acrilyic ink. Winsor and Newton is the brand tat works best for me. Check your local hobby store. I don't CP mine just scuff, write, dry with hair dryer for a few min's then finish. With practice you can write pretty small. I even sign ice rods.

Vic

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 08:33PM

Have you ever tried decals (slip on or water slide)? The reason I ask is that I spent a ton of time trying to write pretty inscriptions on rods--never could do more than a mediocre job. But, then I tried ordering custom water slide decals from one of the sponsors. WOW--it really made the job look professional. And, they're pretty cheap.

So, if you've tried the decals and are looking for something a bit more personal, good luck with writing on a rod. It takes quite a bit of practice and the right pen(s). But, if you're just looking for the best way (and most professional way) to include all the information, then I would say to definitely try decals.

Date: January 01, 2010 08:43PM

I agree with Andrew for signatures on Water Slide paper, but when it comes to rod numbers that is a different story

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 08:52PM

I've been using a crow quill pen with Windsor Newton and calligraphy inks. These inks are water based and can be thinned easily and mistakes can be wiped off with a wet paper towel.
I can write directly on the blank without scuffing using slightly thinned ink and achieve fine line writing that looks very nice . You can apply finish directly over the inscription without any worries about smearing the ink.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 09:08PM

Some people use gel pens, but I find them to be too thick for me. I also use the same pen and nib that Raymond suggested, with silver ink. I've not tried the testors paint as ink but it should work fine.

It's also important to have the blank stable on a flat surface so you can write as close to the same level as you would on a piece of paper. The Flexcoat video does a good job of demonstrating this. Note he does it before the guides are put on.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 08:01AM

For decals check out Decal Connection on the left.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:53AM

You can try this as well....quick, inexpensive, and totally custom everytime. As an added bonus, my penmanship is perfect. You can also scan in a signature or picture, or anything else an put it on the rod.

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Dave
emeraldcoastrods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 11:34AM

Try it the way Flex Coat shows on their tutorial. Worked great for me.

Date: January 02, 2010 04:32PM

The FC is a excellent tool. In any case what you need to do is practice, practice and practice on the fonts you like. May I suggest you get a book on fonts construction

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 04:45PM

Personally, I'm a fan of the pen and inks carried my Jann's Netcraft (on the left).

Posted by: Jon Bial (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 02:38AM

One of our ARB applicants, Matt Davis of Otterods, did such a fine job of writing on the blank that Gary Loomis called him to ask what he used. Maybe Matt will weigh in here.

Jon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster