I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RAZOR BLADE-VS- FLY SCISSORS
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:02PM

Ive always used a razor blades to cut my tag ends...But weve all slipped and shaved,or frayed a thread wrap,right? haha!
Ive been hearing alot of guys using the fly scissors with great success and super clean cuts...Just curious how many have tried them and like them..

Thanks guys

W

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAZOR BLADE-VS- FLY SCISSORS
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:35PM

Try them to see if you like them I use a blade myself.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 01:20PM

I've used scissors but can't ever seem to get as close as with a blade or even a pair of fingernail clippers. I actually use clippers mostly and find that I shave fewer wraps this way.

Terry

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 01:26PM

It depends on how much coffee I've had, prior to wrapping. When my hands are really steady, I like to use a shiny, new razor. I think it cuts the closest. I have some really nice fly-tying scissors that I'll use after downing a pot of "joe". They cut really close, and are more foregiving, but it takes more work to get the cut tag hidden under the wrap.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 02:30PM

I do some fly-tying and have used the scissors on rod wraps. I agree that you can't get as close a shave :) as with a razor, but I use the scissors anyway. I have found that if I pull the thread I am cutting taut, after the cut the thread often recedes under the wraps. My focus is on performance rather than aesthetics, which is why I am not likely to post any photos for comparison with the beautiful work I see displayed on this forum.

Rick

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 02:50PM

Thanks for all the great info....I might pick up a pair of fly scissors and keep them handy...I bet I can find a use for them.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 08:19PM

I picked up a set, but the blade works the best for me!

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:31PM

I'll put in my pull tie with about ten wraps to go; this way, when I'm ready to tie off I can snug the tag end up to where it's ready to pass under the wraps and I can use the sissors to cut it short enough that it doesn't go all the ways through to that tenth wrap. If I'm getting fancy with inlays and can't get ten wraps over the pull tie then I'll use the razor; pull enough of the tag through to grip it and pull it against the wraps to form a small gap. Gently set the razor edge against the thread in the gap and pull the tag end against the razor rather than pulling the razor across the thread. You should be able to hide the remaining tag end when you pack the gap closed.

Posted by: Bill Hartman (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 09:47AM

I use "pliers" that jewelry makers use for cutting fine wire. Just pull the tag taunt, lay the pliers on the wrap and cut. No tags, no fuzz, no cut wraps!

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 02:09PM

My favorite tool for cutting tag ends is a high quality cuticle clipper. I bought a Cobalt Steel half jaw model. The super sharp edges have not shown the slightest bit of wear after months of use. They can be sharpened when needed. I got tired of changing scalpel blades.

When I used a scalpel I found that a long handle (9 inches) was the most comfortable and stable. But nothing comes close to the precision and accuracy of the cuticle nippers for me.

But it is still possible to damage the wrong threads with the nippers. Care is always required when clipping tag ends. Where possible I like to bury them and avoid the problem.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:08PM

Not sure how to describe it but I use one of those ultrathin double sided razor blades that I see my dad using in his razor when I was a kid many decades ago. I've found nothing thinner or sharper.

Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:11PM

Walker,
Go with a HIGH quality, very thin tipped, very sharp fly tying scissor and you will never go back.
When you trim your tag ends, put a good deal of pressure on the tag end, and snip.

When you make the cut, there will be almost nothing on top of the wrap and a quick pass with the burnishing tool, completely works any residual tag end back under the wrap.

Never, never nick a wrap again.

---
After several years of use with no sharpening of the current scissors, I finally sharpened them next week for several more years of trouble free use.

Don't buy the inexpensive, thick dull scissors on the market or you will not see the benefits of the use of a great pair of scissors.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2010 08:43PM

Best thing that I ever used. Bill Stevens showed them to me 4 or 5 years ago at the Expo. About $15 at Walgreens and have lifetime free sharpening. I have 2 pair and rotate sending them in. Just slide all the way down the thread and nip!! No nubs
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: January 01, 2010 11:39PM

There is never any need to pull one all the way through and out, as shown in most insructional videos, unless it's for a very narrow trim band. James has the best idea of all and I think it was covered in a recent issue of RodMaker. Put the pull loop in early, 10, 15, 20 wraps or so, just real early - cut the tag close to the wrap with scissors just before pulling it under the last wind, hold the last wind with your thumb/fingernail and pull the loop under and out. The end will drop out of the loop completely concealed underneath the wrap with nothing to trim. I've never been able to get what I wanted with a razor blade and only use it on those very narrow trim bands like a nail knot or anything less than ten winds.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 06:32AM

I have been using a double edged razor blade, but I think I am going to run to Walgreens and get a pair of the cutters that Mike posted about. I build in the house on the kitchen table and am always wary that I will accidentally leave a razor blade out for my 1 or 4 year old to find.

Posted by: Tryggvi McDonald (---.dhcp.gwnt.ga.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:56PM

All of my expensive fly tying scissors ended up being used by my wife and kids for craft stuff because they were the sharpest ones in the house, now they are the dullest. I gave up on the fancy German and Japanese ones years ago and took a tip from A.K. Best (Orvis), bought a pair of Wiss thread nippers from Cooper Tools. Best of all, they have thick replaceable stainless razorblades with either blunt or sharp points and cheap at your nearest craft store; order a box of replacement blades for after cutting wire etc. Maybe they’ll work for you; they saved my marriage, that year at least.
[www.cooperhandtools.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster