I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Trim Wrap Question
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 04:57PM

I am using the "Nail Knot" technique for making trim wraps the way I did a few years ago when I last made a rod (learned from the old article in Rodmaker). Normally I have no problems.

This is the first time I am using metallics for a trim wrap. I am trying to make a two wrap trim. I have no problem making the wrap and placing it adjacent to the guide wrap. The problem I am having is that no matter how snug I pull the two ends, it loosens by the time, or precisely when, I go to cut the ends. The metallic just doesn't stretch the way regular thread does, so there is no tension when I pull it tight.

Is it just a matter of more practice? Is it impossible to do with metallic thread? Is there some trick involving wrapping over a short piece of metallic when I do the actual guide wrap and then come back and use the tag end?

When one does successfully create a two strand metallic wrap, does one color preserve it immediately to glue it in place so it doesn't fly apart while wrapping the other guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Trim Wrap Question
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:21PM

Here's a blog site that may help - just scroll down a bit

[solwaycustomcomponents.blogspot.com]

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:40PM

I often do just a single metallic trim wrap on either sides of the guide wrap. I tape a 6" piece of metallic thread along the blank before I start the main wrap. Then I wrap the guide, being sure to leave roughly equal lengths of the metallic thread sticking out of each side of the wrap (if I'm putting trim on both sides of the wrap). Tie off the main wrap, as usual, leaving the metallic thread alone. Then I do one revolution of the metallic thread and hold it in place with nothing more than a half-hitch, by passing it under itself. The roughness of the metal foil holds things in place until I can put some CP on the metallic thread (or the entire guide wrap, depending on the "look" I'm going for). Once the CP dries, I trim the metallic thread with very precise fly-tying scissors. Finish the wrap with epoxy or PermaGloss as normal. It is possible to use tie off loops to pull the metallic thread under the wrap, but I find that to be extra steps that aren't really needed.
Just a thought, Bob, most people find an odd number of wraps to be more appealing than an even number. For some reason the right side of the human brain just likes 1,3,5,7 etc. better than it likes 2,4,6,8...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 07:45PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 06:18PM

George, that is interesting, I thought it was just me and my quirks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 07:33PM

Bob,
I use metallic thread all of the time for single or multiple wraps.
However, I don't do the wrap at the very end of the main wrap.
I will use a piece of metallic thread, place it so that the main wrap can hold the tag end. Then, do an overwrap of the main wrap by at least 6 wraps.
As I am nearing the end of the main wrap, I also place the pull thread under the main wraps at this time.
I will then make a single or multiple wrap with the metallic thread, while holding the metallic thread tight with a piece of tape, I do a main wrap next to it at least twice. Then, I trim off the metallic tag end and do two more main wraps to cover the end of the metallic wrap. This holds very well - with the understanding that there about 4 of the main wraps past the metallic wrap.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 08:32PM

Bob,
I can't get a nail knot to hold on less than 3 wraps with metallic. I use the technique outlined in this article from Rod Maker magazine and posted in the library here [www.rodbuilding.org] .

Take Care,
Robert

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:09PM

I also use the clove hitch (nail knot) method with metallic thread both on the ends and within the main wraps. However, Like Robert I find it takes three wraps to get a good hold. By the way....a clove hitch is made up of three wraps. It dates back to the ancient sailing days.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:23AM

Try cutting a piece of the trim thread about 4" long, tape both ends down where the guide wrap will be, leaving the long end to the outside, with enough of the short end to be wrapped over about 6 times and room to hold and trim it.
Also tape down a pull thru loop with the loop facing out. Then do the 6 wraps over the tag end of the trim thread and the tie off loop with the guide wrap thread, bend the tag end of the tie off loop back towards the outside of the wrap and hold down with the tape again.
This will keep it in place until you are done.
Then finish the wrap as you usually do.
When done, you can then make a 1 or 2 band trim wrap and use the wrapped over pull thru loop to bring back the tag end under the guide wrap.
Finish as you usually do.
The difference is that you do not need CP to glue it down, which would be a problem if you did not want it to get on the guide wraps.
Hope this helps,
Happy New Year!

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:29PM

One thing I did once was put a pull thread in at the start of the wrap and wrapped 5 rounds over it, then left the tag end out, finished the wrap cleanly. I then put two rounds on the trim wrap thread and put both through the pull tag, slipped them through then carefullyun-wrapped one of the winds of trim to get one cleanly tucked trim band at the end of the wrap.

Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 06:03PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try the color preserver as glue trick first, as I am going to use color preserver anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster