I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Foot Adhesive
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 10:46PM

I now a true believer in guide foot adhesive. Just wrapped a micro rod using size 3mm guides all on top. I have been using tubing from mudhole to hold guides in place while trying to wrap them...Problem was that the guides kept moving on me. Used foot adhesive and problem solved. Thanks to whomever posted several wks ago about using it. Now it dosen't take nearly as long to wrap as it did.

Madfish Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Foot Adhesive
Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 11:20PM

Brad, can you repost that info, please...

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 03:24AM

Kyle,
Use the search feature and select "all dates".

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 09:42AM

Once you get the hang of guide foot adhesive, it would make you nuts to have to use tubing or tape again!

Congrats!

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.129.---)
Date: December 28, 2009 10:32AM

Does the adhesive allow you to still tweak the guide a little if needed after wrapping?

Thanks

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 11:27AM

We use the Flex Coat guide glue all the time on 1 foot guides, and yes, it does allow for "tweaking"
I still use tape or tubing for laying out the guides and testing, then once the spacing is noted, remove them all and wrap starting from the tip and using the guide glue sparingly to hold the guide while wrapping.
We heat the guide just for a few seconds with a butane cig lighter while holding the small ones with an old pair of "smooth" jaw needle nose pliers.
The larger ones just holding by hand.
Doesn't take a lot of heat!

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Stan Grace (174.44.170.---)
Date: December 28, 2009 12:32PM

I second Ron's message as I use the same method almost identically and it works great for my needs.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.129.---)
Date: December 28, 2009 02:24PM

Sounds good, I'll have to add that to my next order.

Thanks
Harold

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 06:57PM

How does the Flex Coat guide foot adhesive compare to Flex coat tip top adhesive? Same thing, different package or are they two different things?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:03PM

From my experience the guide foot adhesive has a lower tack temperature and is not as strong of adhesive. The application technique is key to using it successfully. Heat the guide and rub it on the adhesive, you do not melt the adhesive on to the guide. Takes a little practice but well worth the effort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster