I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

interesting story
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 02:10AM

got snowed in, in ashville nc while on a job, no power in motel. met a bass tourney guy, conversation was ok for a while. i mentioned i built some custom rods and had even sold a couple for an avid bass fisherman that had friends that were pro tourney guys and how i was hoping that they may like my work.
his reply was he could buy rods at bass pro that were just as good, and till they made one that could tell him there was a six pound bass under a dock he was not going to spend that kind of money and that shimano and daiwa both had lifetime guarantees. it was obvious he had a very closed mind on the subject, had several things to point out but it was obvious he wasn't interested, i did point out that the next time someone was casting into the same spot he was from a further distance he probably was using a custom built rod.

the way he kept talking about replacing rods and lifetime warranties, i think he must be one of those guys that don't know how to use a rod. (glad he aint a customer)

MY QUESTION IS; do you even try and talk to a guy like this, and how would you go about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 02:12AM by Jim Creed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: interesting story
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:28AM

I don't try to convince anyone of the need for a custom rod. If they aren't asking questions, I just talk about fishing in general. My take on the whole matter is that IF they are happy with store bought, let them have it. IF not, they will express it and start moving in your direction.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 09:19AM

Jim: Just scroll down the page from your post,to another post that was put up(How would you answer this question) Some real good reading material that will help answer your guestion.Also there is a link that Tom put up with more reading material. Very good.. Enjoy <<<< DON >>>>

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 10:27AM

Not to ruffle ny feathers here, but the same thing can be said about a number of products. I have friends who drink Folgers and Maxwell House coffee. I'd rather drink lacquer thinner. I have other friends who swear by Dunkin' Donuts coffee.
I have a $2,000 Italian espresso maker and a $500 burr grinder. The coffee I use is produced by two different boutique roasters (both in Chicago). And yes, I can really tell the difference.
It wasn't always this way. My mom brewed Maxwell House. Then Dunkin'Donuts (or Mr. Donut) came to town, and the coffee was kicked up a notch. My dad, a chemical engineer, bought a Chemex coffee maker. Each step along the way raised the coffee bar. Starbucks (IMHO) is a cut above these (I'm talking about coffee and espresso, not those drinks with 10 part names.
I offer good coffee to visitors, but I don't try to sell it to them. If they are happy with the cheap stuff, they can buy it at the gas station down the road.
As for rods, when someone makes a comment like the one above, I smile. Only 1 in 20 fishermen will want a custom rod. This guy means I now have only 19 more before I encounter one who can tell the difference. (Yes, I know this isn't how probability works, but I am simplifying.)
In fact, when someone proves their close-mindedness, I just agree with them, and then up the ante. "You're right. You DON'T need a custom rod. And you wouldn't appreciate what one could do for you, so I wouldn't sell you one even if you wanted one. I have people waiting who CAN appreciate the difference, and they are the fishermen for whom I build.
Amazing reactions often follow. (BTW, I am 6'3" tall and a former UCONN linebacker...I can get away with this). :-)

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2009 11:02AM

Welcome to my life, I only build rods for tournament bass fishermen in Asheville NC. Fortunately I don’t want to build more than a few rods each month so I can be selective who I build for. I am slowly educating most of the top tournament fishermen around here, now there are a few who can appreciate the difference, but I suspect that a huge percentage of people who do any kind of fishing will never be a candidate for what we do.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: December 20, 2009 11:27AM

Jim -

My life as well. My clients span a broad spectrum across several levels of tournament fishing. It's interesting what you hear and come across.

I wouldn't try to sell to that guy. Not worth the time you are investing because it won't result in a sale. You're losing money the whole time you are talking to him.

Everyone in fishing is buddies with a pro tourney guy as well. :)

-----------------
AD

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 20, 2009 12:01PM

Jim Gamble couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better. I don't try to convince any fisherman they need a custom rod. The guys I build for will do that for me. People call me, some out of curiosity, and start asking questions. The next thing you see is them sitting in my wrapping room telling me what colors they want me to wrap and trim with and how they like their grips. I always tell them to bring their favorite rod with them. Usually when they make just the visual comparison, they are sold on one.
A well built Custom Rod will sell itself, especially when it's technique specific

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 01:34PM

believe me as much as this guy talked about breakage and guides coming out, there was no way i wanted to sell him one. every one i show a rod to so far has been impressed and no complaints that i know of yet. (but its coming i am sure) my best selling tool is put one in their hands, we are having out annual fishing forum get together in Jan. and i am going to draw names and give one of my rods away, i have not told the people coming to get together to keep the freeloaders from possibly getting it. looking forward to the feed back from this rod, it will help me get better i am sure.
PS; i like the joy of building one and watching it come to life in front of me. whether i sell another one or not.

by the way he was not from asheville, just got stranded there,

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 02:49PM

silk purse and a sow's ear ............. pearls to swine and a few other sayings ..............

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2009 03:57PM

Occasionally you will run into folks who already have their mind made up. Nothing you say is going to change it so in the interest of not wasting your own valuable time, just sidestep them and keep going. This is a good overall life lesson as well.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2009 04:13PM

Get the same reaction from guys about Concept type set ups on rods. "Awful lot of guides on that rod" or "the top guides are pretty small" most don't understand or care to understand and are ignorant to anything new! These guys are still using #70 wire guides... What ever bakes your cake I guess!!

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 06:06PM

Jim, well said! I agree, this type of person is a waste of time. And you are right, he would be busting the rod, and want a new one all the time. I know a person who breaks a rod every 2 years, so he can got get a new one. He guys ok rods, but not the best, but does gety ones with warrenties. He wants us to build him one, I just laughed at him. I tell him that our rods are not for his style. He does not like that, but too bad.
There are some folks, who are not easy to deal with no matter what.
Tom, good point. This IS a good lesson in life!

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 12:15AM

It is kind of funny how people think. The majority of my buisness is from friends & co-workers. They buy them for different reasons but for most of them they like the way my rods look, or they like the way they feel, or they want to move up to try a Graphite rod. I tell them all the same thing. Graphite rods are fragile and they are going to break. I also inform them that if they think they waited a long time for me to finish their rod, you should see how long it takes me to rebuild it.......:) I tell them they will break but I also tell them how to care for the rod, and how to handle fish with the rod. I havn't had one come back for a rebuild that hasn't told me "you warned me not to do this". I also havn't had one come back to be fixed a second time.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2009 11:36PM

I'd venture to guess that most of the guys I get who want a custom rod are after one simply to say they bought a custom rod. Most have no idea what they need or want. Some of the requests I get are pretty far fetched. I constantly get guys looking for a rod they can use for stripers and fluke, and every other species they may encounter. About half of the requests start with "Which blank is the most indestructible"? Most want their name on the rod, some will pay anything to get their name put in any rod no matter how cheap.
The one thing I constantly get is "Will it be as good as an Ugly Stik"? or "How much weight will it lift"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster