I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod butt slipping out of power wrapper chuck
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 03:36AM

In recent times, I have noticed several posts with respect to various chucks having issues with respect to holding a rod butt securely.

This happens as a result of many things.
Various solutions have been offered in the past.

I think that generally speaking, it is typically NOT an issue where the wrapper, or lathe chuck is changing its setting. Rather, in most cases, with a fixed adjustment of the chuck, the rod butt is working out of the chuck itself.

While doing a searching chore, I came across my box of different chucks that I have used in the past, and noted the issues that I had had with a couple of them.
Right next to the chucks, the solution popped out at me.

Rubber bands.

Use a rubber band, or a couple of rubber bands, to make a non slip cushioned surface on the rod butt and rod cap itself.

The solutions where tape and rubber bands around the chuck itself really didn't fix the problem, because the problem was typically not caused by the chuck jaws changing its adjustment.

Rather, take a couple of thick or a few thinner rubber bands and wrap them around the butt of the rod - Before - it is inserted into the chuck. Tighten as usual and wrap and or dry away.

The rubber serves as a non slip surface on the butt of the rod, and it also provides a semi soft connection, so that if there is a misadjustment somewhere - i.e. rollers up, or rollers down, the rubber will give, but not slip.

I pulled out one of the chucks that I had problems with in the past.
I put it on the wrapper and put in a rod that I was working on. Sure enough, in about 5 minutes, the rod had worked itself out of the chuck - with no change in the chuck adjustment.
I then put a couple of thick binders on the rod butt and repeated the experiment. No issues at all.
To further test, I made a dramatic change in the rod support rollers, so that first, the tip of the rod was much lower than the motor chuck and then much higher than the motor chuck. After 15 minutes in all positions, starting stopping and backing up the blank, no issues, and nothing coming loose.

I can't imagine that such a simple solution has eluded us for so long.

--
Generally speaking, I have found the following.
1. If the butt of the rod, is EVA with no butt cap - the rod doesn't slip - Why - rubber cushion to hold it in place.
2. If the butt of the rod, doesn't have a butt cap on it, and if the butt of the rod flares out and gets bigger, there is typically no problem. Why - The flare of the butt compressess slightly to securely hold the rod.
3. If the butt of the rod tapers down, it slips about 80% of the time.
4. If the butt of the rod has a tapered smooth butt cap on it, it slips about 90% of the time.
5. If the butt of the rod has a constant diameter with a cork butt cap, it slips about 20% of the time.

Note:
These tests were done with a wrapper chuck, that I will not name, but had caused me considerable issues in the past.

So -
Give the rubber bands on the rod butt a try- if you are having slipping problems with any wrapper chuck and let me know your results.
Also, don't put anything on the outside of the chuck jaws, like tape or binders to hold the chuck jaws. Let the chuck stand on its own and see if the rubber on the rod butt takes care of the problems.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod butt slipping out of power wrapper chuck
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 11:56AM

Thanks Roger,

Good inexpensive idea. You should also be able to put some wraps of tape to create a fatter end and prevent the butt from slipping out but your solution is cleaner to implement. You should be able to find fat rubber bands of the right diameter where you don't have to double them up. An O ring about the right size with a rubber band over the top gets you a good result as well.

I have no trouble with rods working out of the chuck when drying. However, thefew times I use it for turning, they do come out. I use the old standard 3-jaw chuck with the wing nut on the back.

This is part of all the fun of course. Finding simple solutions to common problems.

Thanks again.

Terry

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 12:21PM

2 turns of masking tape with my Clemens chuck is all I need to prevent it form happeneing.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 01:56AM

Yep Roger that is what i told you and Brian on the previous thread on wrappers, LOL

Kerry

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:19AM

Will have to try that. I have had major problems with my deluxe chuck and slipping. It only happens on "bigger' rods with the larger butt caps. I tried tape and it didn't work. Thanks for the rubber band tip. I will have to try that. Great info in your post, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:23AM

I have been using the rubber bands on the butt cap for quite a while, and it works like a charm. I have switched quite a bit to cork butt caps, and they do not need rubber bands.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 05:21PM

Billy I have never had an issue with a Clemon's turner backing out. I also use a Pack Bay Turners (2) I have one that is of the older model. On that one I use a radiator clamp To hold the butt section and the other one has their new chuck

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster