I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimbait blank recommendation
Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.w92-146.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 17, 2009 08:29AM

Hi there,

I'm looking for a blank to throw big hard swimbaits up to 6oz, while 4oz will probably be the average.
I want something less than 8', but a 8' cut down would be ok.

After browsing all this forum and some others, I end up with the following choices :

- Saint Croix 4C79HF or 4C80XHF : probably the best choice, but quite expensive.
- Phenix Ultra Swimbait USB-790H or USB-711MH. How is the action ?
- Lamiglass XLB90-1MH or XC967. Both have similar specs, but I've read they don't weight as light as they should. Action ?

Many choices, many prices.
Does anyone have experience with any of these blanks ?

Thank you,
Pierre

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 08:30AM by Pierre Lavignotte.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimbait blank recommendation
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 08:43AM

Pierre,

Not to make this more confusing, but you may also want to consider the Rainshadow Swimbait blanks from Batson Enterprises.
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

They are in about the same price range as the Phenix and Lamiglas rods.

jeremy

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 08:55AM

If the SC4 blanks are too expsensive, see if they have teh same model in SC3 of SC2, and add that to your list of choices. I don't have an answer for you sinc eI don't do that type of fishing, I just waned to make it a harder choice for you, lol. Good luck!!

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 10:37AM

I'd give the Phenix a shot. I've built one on the USB-711H, and it feels great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 11:07AM by Kyle Jud.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.w92-129.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 18, 2009 07:12AM

Jeremy,
Thank you but I've allready get a lot of information on these blanks through the forum. I know they would be a good choice.

Billy,
Good one ;) There are some options in SC3 or SC2 but not exactly the same models. And they come with a price in the range of the Lami, Phenix or Rainshadow, so I think it's worth comparing them.

Kyle,
Thank you for your input. USB-771H doesn't exist, so I guess it's USB-711MH. It's rated at 2-6oz, do you think it's that correctly rated ?

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the Phenix and Lami models.

Thank you !
Pierre

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 07:30AM

I haven't noticed that the Lamiglas blanks are any heavier than the others. The ones you mentioned are 4 oz. or less, many similar blanks from others weigh more.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.w92-129.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 18, 2009 08:47AM

Spencer, my mistake (bad english).

The Lami weigh 4oz on the paper, but I've read that they weigh more in real life :)

Pierre

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster