I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Not such a warm and fuzzy feeling
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 11:17PM

Just finished 6 rods with gudebrod orange NCP thread size a. Applied finish and out came the fuzzies. Not such a good feeling. That goodness I only applied finish to one of the rods when I noticed the fuzz. I have tried to lightly burn the fuzz off the other 5 rods. Will apply finish tomorrow and hope that they come out ok. If not I was told to apply several coats of finish and the fuzz might go away or not be noticeable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not such a warm and fuzzy feeling
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 11:29PM

Either slice them off with a razor after the first coat, or if they are a LOT of them, put another coat and hopefull y it will cover most of them, then slic and put 1 more coat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:25AM

If you have "fuzzies" on all the wraps, check out the thread or possibly your thread tensioning device, Gudebrod NCP should not have that many fuzzies.

Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 06:48AM

The spool of thread has the fuzzies. I looked at it under magnification and the thread looks bad. I dont use the thread tensioner that is like on a sewing machine. I will apply another coat of finish today and see how it turns out. I will not do anything with the other 5 rods until I figure if that is going to work on the first one.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 11:12AM

I feel your pain! Chuck the stuff and see if you can find another spool -

Ask your vendor to pull off about a three foot piece - hold it up to the light and pull tension - if the little hairs stick up and stand to attention when under tension the thread is bad. If you are in a jam and can not find any that is good send me an email and I will send you a spool to get you by!

Here is the orange I have extra - [www.rodbuilding.org]

After the game in Atlanta the demand for that awful color has diminished!

I refuse to work with burnt orange due to the location on the opposite side of the Sabine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:09PM

Brad --
STOP
Since you have only applied finish to one rod, stop before applying finish to any more rods.

Bite the bullet, cut the guides off the 5 other rods, and start over with new thread.

You know you have a problem, and multiple coats of finish MAY fix the problem with a lot of work. However, it is not the RIGHT way to do it.

Get good thread, throw away the old thread, cut off the guides and retie the guides. At the end of the day, you will likely spend less total time on the builds and you will certainly feel better about the rods, since they will have been done right.

Remember the saying about "Tough Love?"

You know the right answer, so do it RIGHT!!

Take care
Roger

p.s.

I wonder if it is just chance or a wonderment - that I just finished two ice fishing rods for children last night. I wanted something to really stand out for the clients children and I used (would you believe it?) Guidebond - NCP orange A thread. Based on your comments, I will double check my thread, and do a finish on just one guide before coating all of the guides.

Posted by: donald soward (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 08:00PM

i'm having the same issue... i believe it to be a bad spool of thread also... royal blue size C in this case... is this common with other thread manufacturers as well?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster