I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building an ultralight rod for saltwater use...need blank help
Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: December 08, 2009 09:53AM

Hi guys. Happy Holidays.

I am going to build my daughter (which I will probably use much more than her) an ultralight rod to use in the back bays of Southern NJ for schoolie sized stripers (usually up to about three lbs) and snapper blues (2 lbs or less). I already have an Okuma Aveon 10 reel, which is about 5 oz, and handles mono from 2 - 6 lbs. I plan on using 8 lb. Crystal Fireline on the reel. This won't be my go-to rod, but I will break it out when I encounter a lot of smaller fish, as I wouldn't want to unnecessarily tire out a bigger fish with something so light.

I would like to build on a 7' blank, for no other reason that I like rods that are 7' long for the small creeks that I frequent. Cost wise, I'd like to keep the blank around $60 or below. I would be throwing very light plugs (say 1/4 oz or so), and unweighted plastics like sluggos and gulps.

So, what do you all suggest in terms of blanks. I have used my friend's production Shimano Compre rod in the past for this type of fishing, and that seemed to work nicely.

I appreciate all of your feedback.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building an ultralight rod for saltwater use...need blank help
Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns20.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:04AM

Not sure of the price in the US but my favourite UL light 7ft blank is a United Composites PU 70UL. We use UL 7ft rods alot in Australia and the PU 70UL is by far the best blank for the cost.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:20AM

You might want to look at the Batson IP841.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:29AM

Joe, where are you fishing? I ask because I fish the same neck of the woods as you (Corson's Inlet State Park), and I've learned the hard way to be very wary of any freswhwater blank that will be used in saltwater. Most have butts that are just too flimsy for use in saltwater.

A year or two ago, I wanted a rod just like yours, for targeting small stuff (mostly fluke) in the suds, so I built a rod on a Lami UL freshie blank that, if memory serves, was 7 feet long. The results were disastrous -- the thing was like a noodle, and belonged at a pond, catching sunfish. It had no business whatsoever being anywhere near a 2 lb. bluefish, or even a short fluke. I ended up breaking the rod (it was 100% my fault), but I learned a good lesson in the process.

Having gotten that warning out of the way, though, I can say that the right freshwater blank can work great in the salt, and I'm sure that there's one out there for your situation. The problem is that I don't know anything about freshwater rods, so I can't help you. My guess, though, is that a bass rod might be just the ticket: a good blank retailer should be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:48AM

Joe,
I'd recommend you take a look at the MHX series model # "S841-MHX" 7', 2-6 lb., 1/32 - 3/16 oz lure, or the "CB841-Blend" in that same series 7', 6-12 lb., 3/16 - 1/2 oz. lure.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jeff Szeker (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 12:51PM

Joe,
you may want to check out the castaway 842 blank from swampland. I use it for the same type of fishing and its great. I live in Atlantic City and have a few that I picked up in High Point. Send me an email if your interested and I'll give you one.
Jeff
jeffszeker@hotmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2009 12:54PM by Jeff Szeker.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 08, 2009 03:01PM

Todd Vivian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe,
> I'd recommend you take a look at the MHX series
> model # "S841-MHX" 7', 2-6 lb., 1/32 - 3/16 oz
> lure, or the "CB841-Blend" in that same series 7',
> 6-12 lb., 3/16 - 1/2 oz. lure.
>
> Regards,
>
> Todd

I would recommend the CB841-MHX as well. It handles light lures well and it a feather in the hand, but the multi-modulus design adds a lot of durability which is nice to have for inshore use.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2009 05:24PM

From above:
"castaway 842 blank from swampland"
I second that. I have quite a few of these that I use in the surf in Socal. I catch alot of barred surf perch and corbina that are tough little fish. I have them built in various configurations including extendeded to various lengths. One of which is actually 9'10"!!!!!! GREAT rods, AND I pretty much STOLE them!!!!!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 12:26AM

Steven Loughery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From above:
> "castaway 842 blank from swampland"
> I second that. I have quite a few of these that I
> use in the surf in Socal. I catch alot of barred
> surf perch and corbina that are tough little fish.
> I have them built in various configurations
> including extendeded to various lengths. One of
> which is actually 9'10"!!!!!! GREAT rods, AND I
> pretty much STOLE them!!!!!

Yeah, nothing but thieves around here. lol

Lance

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 08:40AM

I love to go on the UL side of whatever I'm chasing and I have had great experiences with the Forecast blanks. I have an IP840 that will easily throw a 1/16 Rooster Tail a long ways, so I am sure Ron's suggestion for the IP841 is a good one. I have also used Steelhead blanks for light saltwater and loved them. I bet the SB780 extended 6" would also work, or the SB841 would work and you wouldn't have to extend - I have the SB841-3 and use it with 6lb mono and 8lb Fireline and it works great.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 11:40AM

Guys,

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. I have noted all of the different blanks, and will check them out. I have a few Batson rods already, and really like their blanks. I don't have any of the Mudhole blanks yet, but they are on my list for the spring.

Chris, I am in Margate. Let me know where you are. It's nice to know that there are some other builders in the area. Maybe we can pass the time together over the winter and talk about rod building over some lunch. Let me know.

Jeff, I am going to email you. I would love to feel the blank that you have, and see if it will work for my needs.

Happy holidays all.
Joe

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 05:20PM

8 lbs Fireline Crystal is not UL line per my estimation. So you are probably wanting to build a 'light' rod instead ofUL. Just my thoughts.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster