I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need UL Spinning Reel Recommendations for SP720
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 02:51PM

Looking for light (but still smooth), using 2lb Fireline up to 4lb mono, so really small lines. I'll be chasing small trout and panfish so I don't need heavy line nor large capacity. The priorities are, first, LIGHT; then smooth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need UL Spinning Reel Recommendations for SP720
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 03, 2009 03:23PM

The Shimano Stradic CI4 was suggested to me. Probably overkill for your needs. I think you have lots of choices and don't need to spend much. I fish saltwater and it is harder to find a small reel made for that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 03:33PM

i have a Shimano Sedona 500 FA and love it. I customzed it so when I reverse it, it stops with the line close to my finger to grab for another cast.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 03:35PM

Pflueger Supreme 8025MG, 6.5oz Magnesium frame and buttery smooth. They can be found for under $85 with careful shopping.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 03:40PM

Go to your favorite sporting goods store and take a serious look at the 30 series Pflueger Trion. I bought one at Gander Mtn a few days ago and love it. It was the smoothest one I could find. It has 7 bearings. It is small and light and a step above an Ultra Light. Using it for Bluegill and Crappie with 6 lb mono. By the way, they are on sale at GM.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 04:55PM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pflueger Supreme 8025MG, 6.5oz Magnesium frame and
> buttery smooth. They can be found for under $85
> with careful shopping.

I'll second that

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 03, 2009 06:12PM

Shimano Sedona for economy. Pflueger Supreme for mid-range. Shimano Stradic CI4 as a splurge.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 07:12PM

Pflueger Supreme's are on sale at Bass Pro for around $60.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 07:19PM

I have a Shimano Sedona and a Pflueger Trion, and they are very close in quality. I like the Trion a little better, and it was less money. Mine is the 1000.

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns20.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 07:31PM

Daiwa Fuego or Shimano Stella 1000fd will last and can hamdle a range of both salt and fresh UL uses. 7KG drag on the stella.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:09PM

My vote would be a Shimano Symetre 1000 (front drag) $99 now (used to be $79),The Stradic would be a step up.
They also have the Sedona $59 (have one 5 yrs. old on my 6' M/F rod, no problems still going strong) and they have a Sahara $79 (had one didn't like it)
I use Symetre 2500's on all my bass spinning rods, except one has a Stradic 2000 about 3 yrs. old, They've performed well for me. (std. front drag)
My buddy doesn't like Shimano's and uses nothing but Diawa's (TD) in the same price range with no issues.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 01:06AM

DAIWA SS TOURNAMENT 700,super reel with "long cast "spool ,oversized drag(spring loaded for smoothness and super-wide adjustmentrange-titanium /felt washer)

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 02:58AM

You listed' LIGHT' first, and then 'Smooth'.

Not the smoothest, but has 8 bearings and 5.5 oz. Cabelas Hardstone HS10. It's a size 500 reel. My sons use this. Casts well in terms of distance.

Oh, and low cost.

Mo

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 04, 2009 12:36PM

Try the Pfluger President 6720. I use Pfluger reels exclusively and fish with 2 lbs. fireline in the summer and 4 lbs. Tectan in the winter. I own a Supreme and it sits on the shelf. There is something about the spool shape that causes the fireline to come off in terrible snarls. I can spool up a President in April and use the same line most of the summer with no problems. Go figure! I own 5 Presidents and love them.

Jim

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 07:33PM

Pflueger has come a long way in the last 10 years. I own 2 Trion fly reels (5-6 wt and 8wt) and would not use anything else for the difference in money. I also have some Pflueger Casting reels and light wt Trion spinning reels. I don't think you can beat them for the money. They will definitely compete with the higher priced reels.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 05, 2009 04:08PM

hay Jim- Fire line makes a 2 lb braid line ? Where are you getting this. I thought they had 4 as the lowest.

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 05, 2009 07:13PM

Bill

They make 2 lbs. in both the smoke and the crystal. I like the smoke. I buy it on-line, but I can't remember where. It's not one of the big tackle retailers. It's not a braid but the fused line. I believe they make 1 lbs. also.

Jim

Date: December 05, 2009 07:29PM

I am going to have to do a Google Search for it.

Thanks.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster