I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerk Bait Blank ?
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 02:02PM

I am going to build ME a Jerk Bait Rod. I found in my stash an ATC III IP703. Would that make a decent Jerk Bait rod ? Has anyone built a Jerk Bait rod on this particular blank and if so, how did she perform ?

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerk Bait Blank ?
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 02:29PM

Some guys like crankbait type blanks and popping blanks for their jerk baits. Some guys don't mind a long rod. In which case, that IP will be fine.

Personally, I want a rod that is 6' to 6'6", Fast action and pretty stiff. Mag Bass or Spin Bass rated up to 3/4 ounces. I wouldn't touch that IP for my jerk bait rod.

Just depends on what you like in a jerk bait rod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 03:43PM

I'm with Matt. I prefer shorter/stiffer rods for JBs. I smack the tip on the side of the boat with a 7' rod. I also find I don't overwork the bait with a shorter rod.

-----------------
AD

Date: December 03, 2009 04:03PM

How about an IP844, I have a couple of those. I will definitely have to cut it down to 6 or 6' 6" to keep from slapping the water. Or an MB 843, I have some of those also. How would the Popping blank do in a 4 power ?
I trust you guys opinion a lot more than mine because I have fished a Jerk Bait very little. I certainly don't want to build something that wont work like it's supposed to. Therefore your Jerk Bait experience means a lot to me.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 04:31PM

Jay,

These baits come in a wide assortment of sizes so keep that in mind. Which weight you want to toss will tell you what power you will need. I use a spinning rod for the Pointer 78's and a MH power baitcaster for the 100 and 128 sized (over an ounce) baits. It is a St. Croix blank so it runs a bit higher in power than some blanks. I also have moved to a 7' rod and it will work fine if you adjust your "jerk" to start at 3-4 down 5 o'clock rather than closer to vertical. I too prefer fairly stiff but some feel they over work the baits with a stiffer rod. If you can I would try different rods with the baits then you will know more about which suits your style.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 04:35PM

I agree, NO popping bank for me as a jerkbait rod and that includes the IP844, but that IP844 makes a GREAT crankbait rod!

For me, the perfect jerkbait rod is a pool que in 6ft fast action for 1/2oz and over lures......then I need one in spnning for the smaller jerkbaits from 1/4-1/2oz.

I have never found a "perfect" rod that can do both.

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 05:08PM

A popping or crank bait rod may not be the best choice to get the action to the bait needed for walk, popper or jerks -

The Castaway XP3 784 is designed for Jerk and Twitch Bait rods -

The lower modulus fibers on the tip end provide "some softness" to minimize lure snatching when the fish blow up on top. Most will react too quickly and snatch the lure due to the pure excitemnet. If you are not fishing this stuff try it and you will get excited as well. Lots of fun!

Tip Down - micro all on top may result in a build under 3.3 ounces.

6'6" Length Line # 10 - 17 Lure Oz. - 5/16 - 3/4
PWR - Med Hvy Action - Mod

Butt Dia. - 0.543 Tip - 5.5 Wt. Oz. - 2.2

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 06:45PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 05:23PM

I like the Rainshadow IC722 or IC723 for jerkbaits. 6' fast action, soft enough tip to cast, but stiff enough to give good action....

Date: December 03, 2009 07:35PM

Thanks guys. I have on hand also an MB 843 with a fast tip. Sounds like that may be a better choice. I may cut it down, build it and see how it works. The IP blank went back in the bin.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster