I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fly rod Blanks.
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 06:55AM

As far as straight up comparisons in performance in fly rods between the big name brand's like Sage,Loomis,Winston,Scott,etc's high end models there are several blanks that immediately come to mind for me.All of them offer VERY high end performance and considerably better bang for the buck than the big names.Here are the ones I would be looking at,

* Batson RX7+ & RX8+ - The RX8+ is reported to be fantastic.

* Dan Craft Five Rivers Series - The SIG III,SIG V,FT,FTXL,and FTL are all high end performing blanks that are arguably the best bang for the buck out there.HIGHLY recomended!

* CTS - Most of their models are pretty high end/high tech/high performance,although some may be rather pricey.

* Lamiglas XMG50 or Ti2000 - The XMG50 is a great blank and if you can find a Ti2000 for a decent price grab it.I hear they are absolutely fantastic blanks!

* Gatti - They have several models offering serious performance and light weight but can be pricey and warranty issues may be somewhat more complicated.I have a 3pc 9ft 5wt FRHP-3TA blank that is extremely light weight and fast.Haven't built on it yet but it feels like it's going to be a rocket launcher.I know of several other people who have built on their lower end G4 model who absolutely love them so they could be worth a try without suffering the high price and warranty risk of their higher end models.

* St Croix SCIV and SCV - The SCV is their top model and gets great reviews from most,and while less money than Sage,Winston,etc,they are starting to get up there in price a bit.Many here swear by the SCIV models though and they are a more affordable blank.

* Diamondback Classic Trout - I would HIGHLY recommend these blanks as they are one of the sweetest medium action,close range small stream blanks out there.I absolutely LOVE mine(almost as much as my Scott G,which along with the Winston IM6 is arguably the sweetest feeling little trout rods ever created) and am always looking for these blanks(when my budget allows anyways).Definitely not what I would want for any kind of distance,but for close up dry fly fishing they are wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 07:12AM by Tony Dowson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 12:29PM

I second your opinion on the Diamondback blanks. When I lived in Vermont I used to buy these blanks direct. I probably built 60 fly rods on them, and everyone loved them. It is more of a specialty rod, but in the final analysis, all the rods we build excel at one or two things (although they can be pretty darned good at a bunch of others).

Posted by: Tony Scott (12.130.117.---)
Date: December 04, 2009 09:56AM

Larry, a deciding factor with all these rod choices could be the action of the rod which may make it better suited for a certain type of fishing. ""Fast action rods let you cast quickly and throw a lot of line, but then there is the zen and the beauty of a sloooow cast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 02:58PM

Since you are new to fly fishing the best thing I can think of would be to some how get your hands on different fly rods. Try them maybe a store in your area that sells fly rods. most will let you go out to the parking lot and cast. Also casting lessons. or friends that fly fish. Try different ones out to see how you like them. make a list.

Also where you fish, if there are a lot of trees and bushes around maybe you will need a shorter rod to keep your fly - out tf the trees and bushes. That is one pain !!

If you know several people that fish, have a party invite them over and have a casting party. beverage is up to you ??? I like Bud Ha Ha.

I had a factory St Croix SCIV 7 and 5 wts. The 7 casted well, the 5 I did not like with a 5 put loved it with a 6 line. That is why you should Feel Them.

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster