I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Swampland education -
Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: November 20, 2009 10:08PM

All,
This board and RodMaker magazine have and will continue to be a great thing for rod building. I don't think I need to stress that to too many of you here. But, let me state, that spending some time with an experienced rod builder is just as priceless. I made the trek to Baton Rouge today (150 miles one way) and met with Mr. Bill Stevens. For the first time ever, I saw a custom rod that I didn't build and boy was I impressed. He is decades ahead of me both literally and conceptually. He is truly a unique thinker and builder. I learned more in a few hours today than I've learned in 10 years of experimenting on my own. For those using this board or any board for that matter, please understand that anybody can post any kind of information on the internet. There's a wealth of information out there and it goes both ways, good and bad. It's not always sound info and sometimes we need to weed through a little hubbub to get to the good stuff. I think even Tom K has stated that in a few articles in RodMaker. You need to visit and get to know an experienced builder that can show you how and why their claims work. You may find, like I did, that among 8 cylinders you're only hittin on 5, so to speak.

What did I take away from today? Question conformity. Question the standard. Find out why and, by cracky, know that what you do is for a darn good reason that's gonna make your product better. I learned the real difference between assembling a rod (what I've been doing) and actually constructing a high performance fishing tool. I learned that I'm not gonna be able to compete with the production rod companies' maketing of flashy colors, keen shelf positioning, extensive distribution channels, and promotions but, I can compete in the perfomance arena. And likely come out the winner.
Thank you Bill.
Now to get to the show.

By the way, if you go to see Bill and he takes you to lunch, don't forget where you parked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Swampland education -
Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.txr.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 04:04AM

greg
i see them swampboys are at it again it seems that bill and lance are what this hobby and web site are all about ,every time i read a post someone has gotten help from them !!! and come out a better builder,bill has helped me more than once and now iam building so many micro 8 footers i cant keep one on my boat,so i know theres a lot of builder both new and exp they can help great guysthanks from tx to the swampboys
capt alan
gottafish customs

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: November 21, 2009 10:26AM

I've been building over 30 yrs. and I've never met another builder that I couldn't learn something from. It's what makes this craft move foreward.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 11:46AM

Greg thanks - I enjoyed the day as well - I absolutely love it when there are additional trucks in my driveway that display the Rodbuilding Symbol!

I need to set one thing straight - rodbuilding medication was in total control (obsessive compulsive dissorder - when we walked outside after lunch I was looking for the horse and buggy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster