I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing Rod Tips.
Posted by: Simon Bracey (---.mh.seidata.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 07:54PM

I've not done this for 20+ years so am very rusty. Can I use Rod Bond for gluing my rod tips? I already have this for gluing my grips and reel seats. Also, what about Superglue?

This is a great site. How did we all survive prior to the internet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing Rod Tips.
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 07:58PM

I use Gudebrod ferrule cement. You can also use Rod Bond - but if you ever have to replace a tip with Rod Bond you will likely have to cut the tip top off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:39PM

Simon,
I don't think that the super glue is a good idea. IN many cases, there is a need to take up a bit of space in the tip / blank interface.
Also, from time to time, for a myriad of reasons it is necessary to remove the tip to be replaced.
With either epoxy, or heat activated adhesive, it is fairly simply to apply some heat to the tip and remove it without damaging the blank. I am not sure that that would be the case with any of the superglues.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
It seems that a semi general rule of thumb is to use heat activated tip adhesive for lighter power fishing rods. Then, it seems that the use of a 2 part epoxy, like rod bond for gluing on tips of heavier power rods, due to the higher strength bond of the epoxy.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:46PM

I use 5 min epoxy and have no trouble removing tips. Have to evenly heat but not too much. Just have to be careful.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:20PM

I'm sure that you will get a lot of opinions. I use hot melt glue on all my rods from ice fishing to downrigger trolling rods with absolutely no problems. I do a lot of repairs and by far the most commen is tip replacement (stepped on, ring broken from terminal tackle hitting it). I want to be able to get the tip off if need be. Have never had anyone tell me that one of my tips accidently came off.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 10:50PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:49PM

Guys,
To expand on Simon's thread, can a tip be removed and used again. I've terrible trouble at aligning that thing up with the reel seat especially on long rods. My eyes are going and sometimes when I line up all my guides, I notice my already glued on tip is just a tad out of alignment. I can remove it with light heat from an alcohol torch. So, can I just glue it back on or does the heating do something squirrely with the ceramic's adherance in the tip?
Greg Marshall

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:52PM

I'm with Mike. I use hot melt glue for tip tops 100% of the time with 100% positive results.

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Date: November 17, 2009 11:28PM

Greg,
Under normal conditions, one can reheat, twist, and let cool - a tip to realign.

If in doubt, reheat, remove the guide, recoat the blank tip top, add additional glue to the interior of the tip and reglue.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 11:34PM

I don't think I would want to try that with Rod Bond on a tip. To me, it's not worth the risk.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:58AM

I always use Hot Melt tip top adhesive. I had one come off. It was left in a car on a hot afternoon, I thought it was because of the heat build up in the car but later thought it could be my fault with not enough adhesive or what ever. It was only the third rod I had built.

I now do a tip wrap up to the tube when I do my guides and when I epoxy the guides I run a little onto the tip top tube (hard to say) just to reinforce the hot melt.. No more problems.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 09:37AM

Bill Eshelman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I now do a tip wrap up to the tube when I do my
> guides and when I epoxy the guides I run a little
> onto the tip top tube (hard to say) just to
> reinforce the hot melt.. No more problems.
>
>
> Bill

I do the exact same thing with great results.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 10:12AM

If I have a drill bit to fit the tube I scratch the inside of it, then fine sand the tip of the blank and use 5 mim.

To align the tops with the seat I put several pieces of masking tape along the blank and mark from the seat to the top. I always put my tops on first.

Date: November 18, 2009 04:47PM

Simon,
I use a method similar to Bill.
About 90% of the time, I use hot melt tip glue.

When I first started doing rods, I would heat the tip, get a bit of tip cement on the inside of the tip and slip it on and call it good.
I did have a couple of tips come loose, due to inadequate or poor bond.

So now, I apply tips as follows:
1. I have a couple of popcicle sticks on hand to wipe up the excess glue.
2. I heat up the glue stick and apply a liberal coat of glue to the rod tip.
3. I then heat both the tip and the glue that is on the tip and while spinning the rod, slip the tip in place. The rotation of the rod completely coats the inside of the tip with glue as well as to even out any glue on the tip.
4. While still rotating the tip with the warm glue, I then use the clean stick to wipe off any excess glue that might be on the blank or tip. The excess heated glue nicely sticks to the bare wood and makes it easy to clean up without burning your finger.
5. After everything has cooled, I take a blade and flick the cooled glue off the stick to use again.

Using this method to insure that there is adequate glue on the tip top as well as inside the tip - has never failed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:33PM

I use hot melt on all my tiptops. But then I make a thread wrap just beyond the tiptop tube and wrap up and onto the tiptop tube. Carry your finish epoxy onto the thread and the tiptop will be locked in placed - a hot day or storage in a hot area won't move it. To remove, you slice the thread wrap, peel off the thread and epoxy and then gently heat the tiptop.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 19, 2009 07:55AM

How many have tried Bohning's Ferr-L-Tite?

FWIW I always used hot melt, live in a warm climate, and never had any problems. I break enough tips that I want to be able to make an easy repair while fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster