I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Rod Grips and Filling Cork Holes
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:22PM

In as much as I've searched the internet for ice rod handles or any handle for that matter with a small bore hole.....I found a store on the net that sells solid cork disks in 1/2" x 1.25", but I swear they are out to make money on shipping, a $26 order turned into $50 after shipping(quick, click cancel order and close your browser!). I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to glue my own rings to get what I want. No problem there, I've done it a few times before. The problem is the small bore hole. In a previous post it was mentioned that some bore the center out of a .25" down and use it as an arbor. I don't have that option readily available as I have no lathe. So how do you take up space? I got to thinking, yeah, I could masking tape the blank, but I've pulled masking apart a grip on a custom rod that was built that way. Do I epoxy the holes shut and then re-drill them? This sounds good to me, but what would you recommend for this job? Ground up cork pieces, wood putty, rod bond? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Rod Grips and Filling Cork Holes
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:25PM

Andrew,
If you do a bit of searching, you can find cork rings that are either shipped with no hole at all, or with only a 1/8th inch hole.

Also, don't discount the use of EVA preformed foam handle for an ice rod. Foam makes an excellent handle for ice rod use in the cold. Very forgiving of the cold weather and it is quite easy to obtain foam grips with 1/8th inch holes in them for about $2 each.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:02PM

Jann's Netcraft has cork rings with 1/8" hole ID. As I type this they're in transit, so I cannot attest to the quality of the cork.

Date: November 17, 2009 09:10PM

Wade, I feel like a dunce....I looked over that site and missed it.....And I just put in a guide order with them a few hours ago.....if you could let me know what the cork looks like when you get it?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:44PM

Jan's also has a 10% discount on all purchases until Thursday.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mark Hochstatter (208.126.134.---)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:24AM

Andrew, If you have an NPS 16 real seat, use that and make some short fore and aft pieces to support the blank. I make the tenons any where from 1" to 1.5" and it works great. Put some epoxy on the fore and aft supports and you are good to go. I believe is should give you an idea of what I am talking about. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 18, 2009 01:03AM

Looks great mark, I'll try that on the medium to light rods. These guys are big game guys, I'm sure I'll throw that one their way to have them test it out. They like the extended handle, about 5" back from the seat. I did go ahead and order the cork from Janns, even if it's not what "I" like, these guys know nothing of quality, throw a colored foam ring in there and that's all they will see and it'll wow them pretty quickly. I'm hoping some day they will be able to critque my work instead of just looking at it all amazed that it's better than factory.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:47PM

Andrew,
Another source to consider is the use of solid wood handles.
There are quite a few sources for pre turned and prefinished handles with small holes through the bore.
Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster