I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Largemouth Bass Fishermen
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2009 11:34PM

I am building a baitcasting rod for a raffle. The rod will be used to fish NC lakes and reservoirs, primarily for largemouth bass. I have a blue gloss Forecast blank-SB-843 rated for lure weight 3/8-3/4 ounce and 8-17 lb. test line. I haven't fished for bass in years and never with a baitcaster. This blank is nice but feels a little stiff (fast tip-Medium Action). Does this sound like a good choice to use for this application? Any help, suggestions are welcome-David Spence, Beaufort, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Largemouth Bass Fishermen
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 11:58PM

By the specs you posted it seems to me like it would make a great worm or jig rod. Promote it as such and even have a decal made, maybe something like North Carolina Worm and Jig Special wth the specs listed on the decal.

Lance

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 05:07AM

Perfect Bass rod.

DR

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 09:00AM

I agree with DR. I use a similar rod as my general Largemouth rod.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: November 04, 2009 09:32AM

Thanks for the input-What would be right size guides for micro set-up. Haven't decided on spiral or on-top-the spiral might scare some of these guys away but still considering it to teach them about it. Any input appreciated on set-up of guides, and reel seat. I'm going with carbon fiber grips. Thanks Again-David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 12:52PM

David,

I use a double foot six, single foot 5, and then single foot 3s to the tip. This set of guides works well in both an on top and spiral configuration. Especially when you don't know what size reel is going on the rod. The extra height of the df 6 works well with most bass sized round reels and is fine with low profile reels as well.

Joe

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 01:11PM

I have tried all of the small ring guides and the #4 Alconite has become my favorite. They are almost as small and nearly the same weight as a Batson #3, and much less expensive than the LSG3.5. Now you can get Alconite tips in a 4.5 ring to fit most standard blanks, this is a huge improvement over what we had to do in the past for a tip.

Most of my rods I start with a double foot #6 then a single foot #5 then all #4 the rest of the way, sometimes I eliminate the double foot and start with the single foot #5.

My preferred reel seat is the CastAway that I cut to make a 2 piece seat. I like it better than a Minima seat because you don’t need to install an arbor in the threaded half.

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 01:42PM

Don't see the trigger seats on the Swampland site-also, what is the preferred method of cutting them? Thanks!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 01:58PM

David, here's a link to the trigger seats.

[swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 02:01PM

Here is a link to the CastAway trigger reel seats. Lots of ways to cut a reel seat, I just use a fine tooth saw then smooth everything out with files and sandpaper. A band saw and belt sander would probably be the fastest method, but you would have to be careful not to go too far.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 02:16PM

Here is how:

The flat is left for reel foot stability - stick is used to monitor setting on blank during glue up.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

And do not pass up the opportunity use all the same size micro for on top builds - you will soon discover a big surprise.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: November 04, 2009 02:38PM

Thanks guys-I saw that seat on the site but didn't see the trigger part and assumed it was a spinning seat-Thanks for all the input. Bill-I assume that the same size micros on top make it cast like a dream-is that right? I don't used a baitcaster much (or well) so I appreciate your input! David

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 03:20PM

Castaway cut and complete: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Once you hack the seat into 2 pieces, I like using a grinding wheel with 80grit paper on the lathe to shape the ends.

DR

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 03:37PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And do not pass up the opportunity use all the
> same size micro for on top builds - you will soon
> discover a big surprise.

Bill, it is a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster