I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracked Butt
Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 11:47AM

I was doing a little house cleaning today and noticed that the butt of one of the blanks I have is cracked. It's a 6'6" M blank and is cracked about 3" starting at the butt.

How should I ensure that it doesn't crack anymore?

I had 2 thoughts: 1) Wrap it with thread proior to putting on the handle.
2) Use a scrap peice of blank and put an insert inside the blank about 4.5-5".

I'd rather not make it any shorter if I didn't have to. Of course, thinking out loud, I could cut off the cracked part and extend the blank that much with a chunk of scrap blank. I'm quite new to this so I've never extended a blank, but have read the tutorial about doing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracked Butt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2009 11:52AM

Find a thin walled piece of scrap rod blank about 4 to 4-1/2 inches long that matches the blank butt's taper reasonably well. Sleeve the cracked butt with that scrap piece and all should be well.

Date: October 22, 2009 01:22PM

Thanks Tom!!

Date: October 22, 2009 02:14PM

Okay, next question. What's the best way to cut the scrap blank?

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.92.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2009 02:18PM

Wade White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, next question. What's the best way to cut
> the scrap blank?
miter saw

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: October 22, 2009 02:25PM

A rotary tool with an abrasive cut off wheel.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Harold Krause (199.67.140.---)
Date: October 22, 2009 05:12PM

I had a similar situation. I did just as Tom describes and it worked great. Though I used a an "insert" vs. a sleeve (That is I found a scrap that fit inside the butt rather than one that fit the outside). Not sure which is better, but since it was right at the butt end, I was not too worried about the flexing-of-the-rod part. To cut it...a simple hack saw also works just fine. Just make sure you cover (tape) the cutting area of the blank with masking tape (which ever way you decide to cut it).

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 22, 2009 05:56PM

If you don't have a Dremel Tool you must buy one. I use mine to cut blanks , shorten reel seats, split reel seats for removal, many many uses for one in the rod building and repair world. Couldn't be without one and the little cut off disc.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2009 09:07PM

For that type fracture, an inside sleeve is fine. That is what I was referring to in my earlier post. I should have been more clear.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 09:29PM

Wade,
Actually, the use of the sleeve, on either the inside or the outside of the butt is just fine if you want to go to the trouble.
But actually, since you have a piece of sound blank material running the length of the rod, and since the fibers can't compress any more - a very effective fix is to simply overwrap the butt section - up about 1 inch further up the blank than the crack extends.

Then, go ahead and glue on the handle and you will be fine. The thread will stop the crack from extending any further, and the thread and epoxy over the thread will essentially recreate the blank as it was before being cracked.

--
With respect to cutting blanks.
I picked up an inexpensive 8 inch miter saw from one of the big box stores. I think the cost was $50.
Then, I picked up some very thin machine shop 8 inch abrasive wheels having the standard 5/8th inch center used by the saw.
I could use the saw in this fashion, but as soon as the abrasive wheel wears down about 3/8th of an inch, the wheel will no longer touch the bottom base.
To solve this problem, I added a 2x3 inch piece of channel to the base and bolted it down to the base using counter sunk machine screws.
Between the back of the channel and the miter saw backstop, I added a piece of vertical 3 inch 1/8th inch thick metal to act as a stop.

Now, after installing a new abrasive wheel on the saw, I make the first clean cut - cutting through the back stop metal as well as the 2X3 base channel.
This gives the abrasive wheel a clean cutting line to cut to and through. Now, since the base of the saw has been elevated by 2 inches, I can wear down the abrasive wheel to under 5 inches before being unable to reach the cutting base. Since this is near the size of the motor housing, this is about the extent of the cutting that I can do with the wheel, before I need to throw it away and mount a new wheel.

Since the wheel is only 1/16th inch thick, the wheel removes very little material and the cutting is very clean and fast.

With a wheel like this it is easy to cut blanks, cork, wood, steel, etc. Obviously, since I have made a fixed position cutting slot for the wheel, I have given up any ability to cut miters with this saw. That is why this is a dedicated material cutting chop saw.

Simple, clean cuts, light, easy to transport, takes up very little room, and very accurate.

I use this chop saw for a myriad of activities in both rod building as well as many general workshop duties.

Give one a try, you might like it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 04:45AM

Dremel, diamond cut off wheel.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster