I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Flex Coat High Build Rod Wrapping Finish
Posted by: John Esler (---.pgn.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 06:09PM

Greetings -

For reasons that aren't really that interesting, I need to remove the first roller guide which I just added to a rod that I just finished wrapping. I've got one underwrap of thread, one over wrap of thread, and three coats of High Build rod finish that just finished curing yesterday. What is the best technique? Is there a safe solvent that I can use on the blank to disolve the finish to expose the thread, and then cut the thread with a razor blade? Can I use that same solvent to clean up the blank before I put on the replacement guide? Is an alternative to use a razor blade to carefully peel off the finish?

I guess the good news is that the under wrap will go back in the same place, so as long as I don't damage the blank, a few light scratches or light damage to the finish of the Calstar blank will not be visible on the final product.

Thanks all,
John Esler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Flex Coat High Build Rod Wrapping Finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2009 06:10PM

Your answer is already on the FAQs page here.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 08:07PM

Take a razor blade or some thing similar and cut though the thread. Peal it off. Don't hit the blank !! Use your thumb nail or a soft plastic device to remove the rest of the finish. Re wrap.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Esler (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 08:54PM

Ahhh, there it is in the FAQ. Sorry about that.

Regards,

John Esler

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 10:14PM

John,
Use a heat gun in the area of the wrap to slightly soften the finish. Don't overdo it, but a bit of heat makes the job much easier and you will have it cleaned up in a few minutes.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: richard brown (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2016 01:22PM

I have a question about removing Flex coat... I am building my first fly rod and I wraped tape around my blank at the end of my guides, so I wouldn't get Flex coat on my blank where I didn't want it. Well it sort of worked, but the flex coat seeped underneath the tape in places. My question is, is there a way to remove dried flex coat without messing up the finish on my blank?

Posted by: richard brown (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2016 01:23PM

I have a question about removing Flex coat... I am building my first fly rod and I wraped tape around my blank at the end of my guides, so I wouldn't get Flex coat on my blank where I didn't want it. Well it sort of worked, but the flex coat seeped underneath the tape in places. My question is, is there a way to remove dried flex coat without messing up the finish on my blank?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster