I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wanted to say hi
Posted by: Gary Loomis (209.34.157.---)
Date: October 16, 2009 02:15PM

Hi everyone,
I'm not great at this computer stuff, but I wanted to stick my head in here and say hello, I'm back, and I'm excited to be making blanks for my new company, north fork composites.
I know Tom's site here is the place for rod builders to trade ideas and talk shop. I've been less involved in the industry for awhile, and I hope you all can catch me up quickly.
Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wanted to say hi
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 16, 2009 02:52PM

Welcome aboard Gary ! I am sure you will renew a bunch of old friendships and make a lot of new ones.
Congrats on the new North Fork Composites line of blanks. No doubt they will be a big hit among us rod builders.
Will see you at the ICRBE.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 03:11PM

IMO this is the most informational rod building forum around. With the addition of your knowledge and experience it just got even better. Welcome aboard!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 03:51PM

Your experience with rod blank design and manufacturing will be a boon for all of us.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (66.255.213.---)
Date: October 16, 2009 03:54PM

Good day Mr.loomis great to have you back in the rod blank world always loved the steelhead line wich brings up the ?? about when are they expected out thanks............Rob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 04:33PM

Welcome to this forum.

There are many builders on this site that will find your active participation quite rewarding. Your marketing skills for rods will prove just as valuable to us as the introduction of the new NFC blanks. The concepts presently used by custom related to improving the performance of many fishing rods is certainly not stagnant. Recent innovations such as the micro guide movement has the potential for major impact on rods of the future.

If you have not had the opprotunity to evaluate some of the new concepts being utilized by custom builder please take the time to review and comment.

Linked below are two of seven Volumes of posts related to a build style introduced in Rodmaker Magazine that will give you some idea of the present level of interest.

Several of your old friends and staffers are presently evaluating these rods and preliminary results are very favorable.

[rodbuilding.org]

[rodbuilding.org]

We sure would like to hear your general comment of how custom builders can best market these rods.

Again welcome aboard!

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.15.---)
Date: October 16, 2009 04:34PM

A pleasure having you on board Gary. Are there any plans for fly rod blanks with North Fork? I loved the GL3's, built many a rod on those blanks.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 05:18PM

Gary, welcome aboard, both this forum and the custom builders blank business!

I have been keeping track of your progress with NCF through our mutual friend Ed Rabinowe and look forward to saying Hi at the ICRBE.

I too am anxious for the fly rod blanks.

Posted by: Jason Borger (209.34.157.---)
Date: October 16, 2009 05:50PM

@Harold and Phil—Gary is running up and down the stairs here, talking patterns with Brad on the production floor, so I thought I'd stick my head into this thread quickly and get you both a reply. I'm spearheading the fly-blank effort at NFC (with Gary and Brad, of course), so I can tell you that, yes, there will indeed be fly blanks, and as soon as the first blanks are "production final," I'll get a post up on the blog (and probably toss a note in here, too).

Thanks very much for your interest in what's going with the fly-side at NFC. And Gary says "Thanks!" too (he just walked past and gave a shout).

Back to Gary...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2009 05:51PM

Gary will be on the Expo seminar team at the 2010 event. He'll be presenting on rod blank properties.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 16, 2009 07:08PM

Great News! Looking forward to meetig you as well as building on your blanks!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 07:25PM

Welcome!! and nice to meet you Gary.

DR

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 09:17PM

Gary, Welcome! And congrats with your new venture. We are all eager to see the new blanks and to build on them. We are also very glad to see you join the forum. This is indeed the best rod building forum out there. Tom does a great job for sure!
We are also very interested in seeing what you, Jason, Brad, and the rest are up to. We know you folks will continue to develope new goodies for us all in the future. Proud to have you folks aboard!
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2009 11:27PM

Gary, Glad to see you back in the blank business. I just ordered one of your fly rod blanks, a TF 803 IM and cannot wait to get it built and on the water. Any plans to expand the options in your fly rod blanks. In my area there is a decent following of the 8'-6" length in 4 and 5wts and the shorter 7'-6" in 3 and 4wts.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 02:17PM

All rise......

Posted by: gene deahl (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 04:45PM

Hi Gary! We are all glad to see you back to work. Just finishing up the last of my SA1084's for customers. I know the next generation will be even better.

Posted by: Gary Loomis (209.34.156.---)
Date: October 27, 2009 11:08AM

Thank you all for the kind words. I'd say more but I type really slow and Jon has me chained to the desk working on patterns.

Gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster