I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Starting that first build.....
Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 09, 2009 04:14AM

Okay someone please correct me if I am wrong here. first you start with the handle, then second is the reel seat. third is the for grip.... (all this of course after locating the spine) so do you continuse this way, from the butt end up the rod to the tip, or does it matter which way you work either up or down when wrapping the guides in place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting that first build.....
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 09, 2009 04:29AM

Bobby

That all depends on if any guides are on your bottom section. It sounds like your building a spinning rod. If any guides are on the grip section then yes grip and seat first. I build on a lot of 4 pc rods. Sometimes do all my wrapping first and grip last as most times there are no guides on the bottom section.

Make it easy on yourself and forget about spine. Most blanks have a natural curve. Place your guides either against this curve or with it. If you do a search you will find loads on spine. It doesnt really matter just build on the straightest axis.

If you dont have any reading material I would suggest a good book such as Toms(Amato) Rod Building Guide. Read it through and you cant go wrong. There are several other how to books and DVD's that you can use as a guide. Trust them before you trust internet info. Everybody has their own little ways of dong things. Find yours.Not rocket science just rod building. Have fun make mistakes and go fishing

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:16AM

I'd suggest installing the tip top after you glue the grips and reel seat. Then you can load the rod and determine the best place(s) to put the guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2009 08:37AM

Since this is your first attempt, I'd wrap the butt guides first. They're larger, the blank is larger, so they'll be easier to work with while you start to get into the swing of things.

The spine isn't going to make any difference but it won't hurt anything if you want to find and align it to suit yourself.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 02:58PM

For me it typically goes like this.

Reargrip and butt cap, reel seat, trim ring if applicable, foregrip, winding check, tip top, tape guides in reasonable locations, static and casting tests, guide placement adjustments. Then I wrap the guide farthest from the tip first and proceed up the blank. After that: hookeeper, label appliclation and wraps then signature.

I left out the part where I try 15 different guide wrap designs before finally settling on one...and a few other details like over reaming the cork and reel seat arbors, getting rod bond all over the grips, spilling my can of denatured alchohol all over the work bench, forgetting to put a tie-off loop in a trim band and my all time favorite...wrapping a guide on backwards! duh.....

Most of the time things go well but for whatever reason there are projects that just seem to kick my tail right from the beginning and no matter how many times I step back and restart they just wanna fight and they become epic calamities.

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 09, 2009 09:19PM

Scott,
these are one piece 7 foot rods. They are baitcasting builds, but I am planning on a simple spiral wrap.

Rusell,
Thanks on the advise, I have a friend who give me some measurements to start with on guide placement, and he gave me some simple instruction on how to fine tune from there. So this was my plan from the begining. I made a simple rig to hold the rod, and am useing an eyelet to load the rod to check the guide placement and make my adjustments.

Tom,
Thank you so much. Starting that way make s good sense put that way, and i think this will be the way I proceed.

Ron,
you are truly a man after my own heart. Murphy and his law seems to plauge my life so much, that it amazes me when something does go right. i am sure there are going to be plenty of spills, mishaps and changes as my build goes on. I am a perfectinist so it just goes that much more. I am already predeicting many threads being cut off the rod, cuase I wont be happy with the results. and if just one bubble appears in the finish, i am going to go nuts!! As for over reaming the cork, no fears, I went with EVA foam on these first builds to rerail that possibility. I didnt want to lose my mind trying to perfect cork handle turning this first time out. dont get me wrong. I made a cork lathe, and am working on shaping jigs for it. and i bought some cork to play with on it and have ben doing so some what, but i didnt want to worry about that on this build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster