I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Working With Cork
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:29AM

When sanding your cork grips to shape, what grade sand paper do you reccomend. Plan to glue my grips and then sand to shape this week, any tips or advice would be helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Working With Cork
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:39AM

I start with a file at first to get things round, then work my way from like around 150 then to 400 grit. For me, the 400 is as fine as I need to go.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 05, 2009 10:53AM

Rough file, finish file, 120, 180, 220, 320 and finally 400.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 12:00PM

Rough file; open sanding screen (120); fine sanding screen (220); 400 then finish with a clothes dryer sheet to remove cork dust and lightly polish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 12:40PM

Jay,
In addition to the previous posts, I suggest that you start with a Surform Planer by Stanley.
This is an open tooth planer / file that does a great job of rough shaping and to also remove any excess glue.

If you don't start with an open tooth planer as suggested, then I would start with a piece of 50 grit paper. The idea is that you want to get all of the residual glue off the outside of the cork. If you start with sandpaper that is too fine, you will simply polish the glue rather than remove the glue. Be careful in using either the planer, file or coarse paper. Any of these items can easily remove too much cork if you aren't careful.
Go slow and keep checking to insure that you are on the right track and that the handle is shaping up like you want.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 12:57PM

Surform...80...120...220...320...400

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 02:13PM

I use all the above methods stated above. When using sand paper or a stand screen I always use a sanding block. A block helps keep your sanding even, some cork is denser than others and will cut faster especially Burl. Burl is hard and cuts slow. So to keep the cork flat and even I use a block

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 03:17PM

Surform...100...220...400

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 04:36PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surform...100...220...400

Exactly.

DR

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 05:03PM

For regular cork I use a skew to get it round and the basic shape, then a file, 150grit, 220grit, then fill with the blemishes with wood putty. After that dries sand with 220 and finish with 320. If it's burl cork I use a roughing gouge, skew and then sand with 80grit close to final dementions, then work my way through the grits to 500grit.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2009 05:14PM

In order to keep the grip concentric with the bore, you need to "cut" the grip initially. I do this with a half round scraper held on the tool rest a set distance into the grip. As you begin, you'll find the scraper removes material only on 1 side of the grip. As you progress, it will be cutting all the way around and the grip will then be concentric with the bore. From there, you can file, Surform and sand the rest of the way in.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 08:57PM

Ahh.... is that why each of my grips takes 3 hours to shape. In the search for the smoothest grip, I use only 1200 grits to shape on a lathe.

KIDDING aside, I start with 60 or 80 grit. I have the Surform so i should try that.

Mo

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 07:04AM

Tom makes a good point.

Using just paper can keep your grip from coming into round.

I should add that my 80 and 120 grits are double back taped to long wood blocks. So three of my steps are with rigid tools that make sure the grip is concentric. The first two steps cut the grip to shape. The third is the smoothing pass that allows the finishing grits to easily do their job. Small gradual steps between grits allow the paper, and not applied pressure, to do the work and is also much easier on your paper.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster